Could this be ICH??!?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish. I know, I know...I should be QT'ing, but the very reputable LFS I purchase all my fish from does QT'ing and medicates all fish prior to selling them, and so far not one issue, but I noticed this one tiny white dot on Arthur's tail and decided I should do some research, jic.

He's not scratching or acting weird, and he's only been with me 2 days (this will be day 3).

Please look at the pic and give me your best opinions! TYIA!!
IMG_20190820_094342224~2.jpg

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to tell, but in a couple days if he has more white dots then yes
Here's the pic I zoomed from to get that image. If it is, I'd like to catch it early before it drops and propagates and infects my entire tank. I've been at home sick the last couple of days and been reading anything and everything fish, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol
IMG_20190820_094342224.jpg

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont panic, panicking never cured anything. only thing to do now imo is wait to see if it gets worse.

one or 2 dots on the tail could be ich, could be a start of a fungus or something else, or nothing

imo i would just observe since your fish are eating and acting normal. if it gets worse or you see more dots, then post again and then the reef2reef community can help you out.

get better and happy reefing

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont panic, panicking never cured anything. only thing to do now imo is wait to see if it gets worse.

one or 2 dots on the tail could be ich, could be a start of a fungus or something else, or nothing

imo i would just observe since your fish are eating and acting normal. if it gets worse or you see more dots, then post again and then the reef2reef community can help you out.

get better and happy reefing
Thank you! Great advice! I think now maybe I am overreacting. The dot seems to only be visible in certain light as he swims around. He's really quite the character! I've been watching them all morning (fish therapy, lol) and I actually saw him "cleaning house" by taking presumably detritus from inside in his mouth and spitting it outside! He stares at me and kindof plays peek-a-boo. I love him already! :D;Joyful

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The life cycle of ich will drop off the fish 3-7 days. Don't panic just keep an eye on it and if it disappears in the next day or so, then maybe it is ich.

Its just one spot now and the picture is blurry. Keep us posted. BTW the flipper magnifying glass is awesome.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The life cycle of ich will drop off the fish 3-7 days. Don't panic just keep an eye on it and if it disappears in the next day or so, then maybe it is ich.

Its just one spot now and the picture is blurry. Keep us posted. BTW the flipper magnifying glass is awesome.

I literally just bought one, so thank you for that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that there has been no change! No more spots and no one else has any. I guess "Arthur" just has a little spot on his tail. Looking thru my handy dandy new Flipper (thanks again, @pathot984!), I discovered someone has nibbled my Fairy Wrasse's ("Picasso") tail. I'm hoping it was an accident while feeding, since I've never seen anyone pick at him, but will definitely keep an eye on that!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a good read for you on why not to trust LFS quarantine, how it’s not really “possible” for about 99% of establishments to do properly.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a good read for you on why not to trust LFS quarantine, how it’s not really “possible” for about 99% of establishments to do properly.
Thank you! Will read that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back