could you use ocean water to cycle a tropical tank?

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would ocean water work to like 'seed' or use as bottle bacteria in a tank?

I was just thinking. Since obviously the ocean probably has the strongest cycle/level of beneficial bacteria that there is, couldn't you use a bit of natural seawater and let that help cycle the tank?

There would be no die-off during transport - since I'm 200m from the beach. I am in NZ though, not exactly the tropical coral reefs, would the temperature affect the bacteria? Would the bacteria from the ocean even colonize my tank?

Would this work?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be more successful probably if you were to collect some sand and water from the beach.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfectly fine to do that, i would also use it for water changes and rodi water just for top off water. NSW (natural seawater) is the best stuff you could use for your fish tank, just not from super polluted waters... I live in new york and i wouldnt use my water personally if i was close to the city

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is bacteria there is much more on rubble and sand then open water, like others said just make sure its not polluted.

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfectly fine to do that, i would also use it for water changes and rodi water just for top off water. NSW (natural seawater) is the best stuff you could use for your fish tank, just not from super polluted waters... I live in new york and i wouldnt use my water personally if i was close to the city
Yes lol idk if New York would be the best place to collect!

I was thinking about using NSW, but I worry about it not being safe. Not sure how to tell. There is A LOT of farming in NZ, so I worry about fertilizer runoff or something.

OP
OP
T

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is bacteria there is much more on rubble and sand then open water, like others said just make sure its not polluted.

Cool, thank you!
You would be more successful probably if you were to collect some sand and water from the beach.

Yup, understand. Thinking I'll get my dad to stop by on the way home from work and pick up some rock for me.

Thanks for all your help!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would think you should be fine but you can always run an icp test every 6 months to a year if you suspect something is up

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only test kits i would use with NSW would be alkalinity and calcium and dose some all in one solution like all for reef. I you had nutrient issue then test nitrate and phosphate but for the most part NSW will take care of it

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your local laws in mind please. It’s illegal in some places do take anything away rock sand etc. I’m Not the ocean police and would likely empty the sand that washes into my swim shorts into my DT. Lol.

I would be very curious how much life is in a small handful of ocean sand when added to a tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back