Countertop for Water Station Cabinet

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm putting together a cabinet to store my saltwater mixing station and the rest of my dry aquarium supplies, and since it'll be going near the tank, I'd also like to incorporate a worktop for various aquarium tasks into it (fragging/acclimating corals, testing the water, etc.). I'd originally planned to simply have a painted 1/2" thick plywood slab to serve as the countertop, but functionally I don't know that that'll hold up best long-term to regular saltwater exposure, and aesthetically I'm not sure that it's the best look. I've also thought about using a butcher block countertop, but I have the same concerns about saltwater exposure and potential warping/expansion. It'd be getting hit with regular drips and splashes from the top, and on the bottom there would be potential humidity and evaporation from the water containers.

Am I overthinking the wood options, or are there any other relatively easy-to-install counters that would hold up to the intended use?

The dimensions of the countertop would be roughly 20.5" x 40", and I'm looking to spend less than $200 for the counter.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granite remnant from Local fabricator if you send them the sizes and pickup, the $200 is probably in that budget.
I'm Raleigh NC and my facility would surely cut that piece for you for less than $200.00 if you were to call in sizes and pick up your self.

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granite remnant from Local fabricator if you send them the sizes and pickup, the $200 is probably in that budget.
I'm Raleigh NC and my facility would surely cut that piece for you for less than $200.00 if you were to call in sizes and pick up your self.

I'm over in Tacoma, WA, so I think the shipping from your shop would be absolutely killer on that... =) But there are probably local shops that would be similar in price. A little concerned about the weight on it - not so much for the support (the internal framing of the cabinet is massively overkill) but more for actually maneuvering the thing into place, both for installation and in terms of moving the actual completed cabinet

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm over in Tacoma, WA, so I think the shipping from your shop would be absolutely killer on that... =) But there are probably local shops that would be similar in price. A little concerned about the weight on it - not so much for the support (the internal framing of the cabinet is massively overkill) but more for actually maneuvering the thing into place, both for installation and in terms of moving the actual completed cabinet
That's why I said "remnant from a local fabricator."

Install cabinet in its place, then set top. It will last forever.

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I said "remnant from a local fabricator."

Install cabinet in its place, then set top. It will last forever.
I know, I was trying to make a joke... not succeeding very well, apparently. =)

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second checking with local counter top shops, they my also have some good synthetic stone options.

Back