Couple of Id’s please.

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to the hobby... want to mAke sure I don’t have anything ELSE bad... already dealing with infected fish from my LFS and I have these critters as well. One crawls really fast and kind of looks shrimp like but sprints around like a cockroach. The others are tiny white dots that move around, seriously every inch of glass is covered with them. My tank is just over a month old, already identified Both bristle and fire worms, those tube making worms and the weird snails that make micro coil shells... just to much to handle at this point , now I see these dots and silver crawling thing.

73115E9B-947F-4B9E-A8CD-BD9A37536C43.jpeg 7CD01486-1605-4D7F-A01C-F5BCAC20F481.jpeg 510B5784-D72B-4503-B75F-1369E149726B.jpeg

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are actually really good to have in a reef tank. Look up copepods and continue doing your research on all things reef! :)

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that’s strange? I was told I would have to add copepods if I wanted to get a dragonette... seems they hitched a ride on my insanely extra live rock. Just a quick bonus questions: my LFS sold me two Acans. I am sure one is an Acan, but this thing doesn’t look like any pics I have seen of an Acan... does anyone know what to call this thing?
A1890A2C-E80A-4EEF-8361-03142D22F3A3.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like an acan to me. It's adding heads, you'll soon see them split into 3 heads.

Live rock, frags, anythign you put in your system that has been in another, will more then likely add copepods/amphipods. Keeping that pod population up, is the hard part with a mandarin.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh , wow... thanks! Must just be species variations then. It has at least 6-7 mouths /heads all the way around... I add a small cube of frozen micro shrimp to the tank which my fish eat, but the scent causes all the these mouths to open up like 1/2”-1”, and you can see inside of it... once open I hit it with the targeted reef roids... the thing just looks so different from the other Acan, that other one does NOT have “mouths” like this one does.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really! So, sounds like I should give them a turkey Baster Pump of the micro shrimp when they are open? That will be fun! I have reallY been enjoying watching my Little bubble tip swallow whole 1” shrimp.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, such a HUGE learning curve... this live rock I got was in the sump of a 300 gallon frag tank at my LFS for about 5 years... dropping it in my new tank allowed me to skip so much, the cycle and the waiting period that’s typical, but also got me in way over my head very quickly lol...

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, such a HUGE learning curve... this live rock I got was in the sump of a 300 gallon frag tank at my LFS for about 5 years... dropping it in my new tank allowed me to skip so much, the cycle and the waiting period that’s typical, but also got me in way over my head very quickly lol...
You have a lot going on for a month old tank; might want to let it stabilize before adding any other animals, make sure your water parameters are good, etc. Not necessarily a good thing to "skip so much" but that is often the advice of life's. Good luck

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is maxed out , so can’t really add anything more at this point. Haven’t had a single spike of anything, 0.25 ammonia at week 3 after I added the 2 fish, and it Was gone a few days later back to 0.0. No nitrates or nitrites yet, they stay at 0.0. I test every two days,... I have two Zoa rocks with 50-75 heads, a large hammer coral, 2 acans (one large one small) , a 3 head blasto (started as two) 2 bubble tips , 8-9 heads of candy cane, and another my buddy gave me that about 3” round ... forgot the name.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
266A9C63-EFDC-4679-ABEB-BEAF1EAB8723.jpeg

Definitely going slow with my next tank... for all the speed the live rock provided, for my trouble I have every pest in history and I am pulling dozens of fire worms a day out with my homemade trap. It won’t be water quality that gets me, I think I will get over run with the spiro worms, or the fire worms before anything else, lol

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is maxed out , so can’t really add anything more at this point. Haven’t had a single spike of anything, 0.25 ammonia at week 3 after I added the 2 fish, and it Was gone a few days later back to 0.0. No nitrates or nitrites yet, they stay at 0.0. I test every two days,... I have two Zoa rocks with 50-75 heads, a large hammer coral, 2 acans (one large one small) , a 3 head blasto (started as two) 2 bubble tips , 8-9 heads of candy cane, and another my buddy gave me that about 3” round ... forgot the name.
Sounds like a good start and assume infected fish no longer showing symptoms or have been replaced. Somewhat surprised nitrates test 0 given your feeding; are you confident in test kit validity?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
266A9C63-EFDC-4679-ABEB-BEAF1EAB8723.jpeg

Definitely going slow with my next tank... for all the speed the live rock provided, for my trouble I have every pest in history and I am pulling dozens of fire worms a day out with my homemade trap. It won’t be water quality that gets me, I think I will get over run with the spiro worms, or the fire worms before anything else, lol
Some nice corals and you'll get control of pests - all part of learning curve.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would like to see these so called fireworms? Since the piece of liverock came out of a sump, and not the ocean very hard to get fireworms.

I'm guessing they are just plain old run of the mill bristleworms. Which IMO should be just left alone in the tank. Unsightly, maybe, but a very beneficial part of your CUC. First ones on the scene when something is dead/dying.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good start and assume infected fish no longer showing symptoms or have been replaced. Somewhat surprised nitrates test 0 given your feeding; are you confident in test kit validity?
Well, I thought the same at first... It isn’t the best test kit around, it’s the API. I planned on ordering a Red Sea kit, But I read here on Reef2Reef the API is fine if I follow direction on how to get the most accurate readings including using a mild acid to clean out the test tubes and caps after each use(they suggested citric acid, like orange juice) and I also use a plastic Syringe to make sure I fill exactly To the line , keep the bottle perfectly vertical to produce a consistent drop size, and I use a timer to confirm results at the precise 5 minute window as I was told even a minute more or less can alter the color. Here are my results from the last test. I document all test results by photo every time , and I log any feeding , more specially changes in types of food I will test daily for awhile when I do that. I do Red Sea AB+ at 1ml per day, Small misis shrimp cube for the fish per day, plus the coral like it. I do a 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids targeted 3 times a week, and 1” shrimp hand feed to each anemone 3 times a week.
F7E0C1F3-B9A8-4818-B664-BEA6B7EA3DB6.jpeg
B28280FB-439A-4413-AD96-75999633098D.jpeg
EB774D68-6183-4228-BD2F-A946CA55AF44.jpeg

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and 0.0 nitrate likely has to do with my over filteration. All the advice on filtration and set up I got here in Reef2reef. It’s a fluval 13.5, I run a protein skimmer, and chamber 2 InTank media basket with Chempure Blue, two layers of filter floss which I change 2-3 times a week, Puragen, and Seapure. I also have 2 quarts of marinepure biospheres and I heavily doseD Dr Tim’s even though I was told the 14 pounds of live rock would suffice.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would like to see these so called fireworms? Since the piece of liverock came out of a sump
This particular sump was the LFS’s coral and frag tank, and they Do sell wild caught corals from the ocean... which is how the rock picked up so many pests. I am a novice, but I read that if the worms come out aggressively for meat in the daytime lighting , then they are most likely fire worms... which look roughly the same as the bristleworms, accept the red coloring . These are red, and they come out in full daylight lighting every time I feed. All of that said, you very well could be right , they could be bristleworms. I don’t know very much at all , I just going off what I have read. I will try to grab a pic next time I feed.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back