Couple of ID’s needed. Pearlberry & Heartbreaker?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first one got sold to me from a storefront (not WWC) at a coral show as the WWC Heartbreaker, but to me it looks a lot more like the Fruitopia? What do you think?

The second one, I traded with a local hobbyist and he said he thought it was Pearlberry but wasn’t sure, it’s grown out and it’s really pretty, here’s a frag of it. What do you think it is?

51622287-4992-44D5-93A9-73BCEAEDEEE4.jpeg EEDE4667-9487-4B2E-AB42-D0BF6F7FEAE3.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they did not come with lineage and ties back to the original, then they are not. Without proof and a chain of custody, just call them something else. They are nice, so it does not matter what they are.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear ya. The WWC Heartbreaker was sold to me as that, but it just doesn’t look like it, so I was just wondering if they made a mistake and if someone could verify or tell me another ID.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While what JDA said was definitely true 10 years ago- Dont call it Mr. Bobs _________ acro unless you got it from Mr Bob or can prove it came from him.

I used to back this up and be all for it.

These days.... ehhhh, so much trading going on etc etc, if it looks like a duck, talks like a duck and walks like a duck... Its a duck.

I dont see much difference taxonomy/structure wise between the first coral and WWC heartbreaker.

Second one is not a pearlberry, looks like a nasuta, maybe a colored down hillers aquadelight.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely love @Budman's Corals WWC Heartbreaker, when I saw it after I’d already bought mine locally, I just felt like I didn’t have the true Heartbreaker. His is way more red and blue and not so much green. I’m stumped.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love @Budman's Corals WWC Heartbreaker, when I saw it after I’d already bought mine locally, I just felt like I didn’t have the true Heartbreaker. His is way more red and blue and not so much green. I’m stumped.

Designer named coral coloration is always going to vary due to its environmental conditions.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at a good local store yesterday and they had two frags of "Tyree Purple Monster," only they were probably just oregon blue tort under lower lighting - they knew and so did I. The lineage will always be an issue and the walks/talks/quacks like a duck is only as good as the person who is inspecting the duck.

Like nearly everybody, some of my best corals had no names and still do not. :)

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at a good local store yesterday and they had two frags of "Tyree Purple Monster," only they were probably just oregon blue tort under lower lighting - they knew and so did I. The lineage will always be an issue and the walks/talks/quacks like a duck is only as good as the person who is inspecting the duck.

Like nearly everybody, some of my best corals had no names and still do not. :)

I take names with a grain of salt. If you tell me it’s a Walt Disney or Cherry Bomb, I have an idea what they should look like. It’s up to me to decide if I actually want the coral being offered to me at that point.

My cherry bomb looks like a lot of different corals, including a Cherry Bomb :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back