couple of Id's needed

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Found these tentacles sticking out of my mushroom covered rock... Thinking bristle star hopefully? there is actually probably 5 more of them in various holes on this one tiny rock so I hope nothing bad! Then if you zoom in a little bit, literally just above the left most tentacle, there is a small worm like creature that I actually discovered while taking this picture; I have no idea what it is... Now if you skip down below, I have a scary hitchhiker, I think.
20180108_182032.jpg
So my hammer coral start to remain in a much smaller state then it used to, especially one head in particular. Just by chance I noticed this little guy in the pics below. I fear aiptasia, but it kind of looks like a feather duster too (I'm really new at this, forgive me!). I'm leaning towards aphasia, just give me the confirmation. I will super glue it into it's hole. The one thing that makes me uncertain is that it almost looks like it is coming out of a tube/tunnel along the surface of the hammer branch. Either way, could whatever it is be effecting the health of my hammer? It is one of my first corals and one of my favorites. Please help fellow reefers! Thanks in advance.
20180107_171327.jpg

20180107_171322.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third looks like a feather duster, lacks the central disk of aiptasia.

First one does resemble an echinoderm. Though sure someone that keeps them will know better.

I dont see a worm. I think i see a barnacle if i zoom. But that could just be me trying to find it lol.

OP
OP
Beefyreefy

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Third looks like a feather duster, lacks the central disk of aiptasia.

First one does resemble an echinoderm. Though sure someone that keeps them will know better.

I dont see a worm. I think i see a barnacle if i zoom. But that could just be me trying to find it lol.
Yes brittle star and Yes feather duster;)
Worm?

I zoomed in and photoshopped the worm in question to see it better. the tip of the left most tentacle points directly to the worm.

20180108_182032-01.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see enough detail to even be able to say its not algae, sorry :(
Did it move while taking the pictures?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut worm I see him in there ! He's a good guy!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back