Couple of questions on an 80 gallon reef.

crazyreefergirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking to set up an 80 gallon rimless system. Planning to do all high end Zoanthids, Palythoa and Mushrooms. Should I run a sump? I was thinking of doing a hang on protein to keep everything simple and do away with a sump. Also thinking of running 2 AI Hydra 64 and possibly supplement with some t5s HO. Is there a better light I should be using? What level of Nitrate should I be maintaining for maximum coloration and growth? Should I be keeping mushrooms in a different system since this will be a shallow tank and many of the Mushrooms seem to like much less light then the Zoanthids and Palythoa? Thanks in advance for your input.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a sump is set up, it is much easier to maintain and use compared to hang on things. Sumps make maitenance so much easier and much less messy.

What are the dimensions of the tank? I can recommend some lights per a given budget.

Nitrate between 5-15 is good. Fairly easy to lower if needed, but high enough to be above realistic common test kit error ranges. The key is to get decent test kits. Nyos nitrate test is a preyty cheap and easy to use/read nitrate kit. Hanna HR nitrate is another good one.

Mushrooms, palys, and zoas can all be kept at similar lighting.

OP
OP
crazyreefergirl

crazyreefergirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank dimension 48x24x16.
You think Bounce and Yuma mushrooms can handle the lighting and flow as Zoanthid and Palythoa?
I am think of using Red Sea test kits. I am very familiar with it. Good enough?
Thanks in advance for your input.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, I would stay away from "high end zoa's/mushrooms" for along time. Most of the really high end zoa's are known melters, same with mushrooms. They require very strict care and you are asking alot of questions right off the bat which leads me to believe you are inexperienced. This is fine, its a great time to learn.

With that being said though, start off with easy stuff, cheaper stuff, do that for a year or two and learn everything you can. I'm just trying to save you money. Takes alot of experience to keep that kind of stuff. If it was easy everyone would do it and they wouldn't be so expensive.

OP
OP
crazyreefergirl

crazyreefergirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, I would stay away from "high end zoa's/mushrooms" for along time. Most of the really high end zoa's are known melters, same with mushrooms. They require very strict care and you are asking alot of questions right off the bat which leads me to believe you are inexperienced. This is fine, its a great time to learn.

With that being said though, start off with easy stuff, cheaper stuff, do that for a year or two and learn everything you can. I'm just trying to save you money. Takes alot of experience to keep that kind of stuff. If it was easy everyone would do it and they wouldn't be so expensive.
Thank you so much for your input. Yes you are right! My mini colony of Grand Master Krak melt away from a 1 polyp I grew out. I am new here but not a newbie. I've been keep corals when Tyree was a big name where an LE corals only succeed with his blessing. Later I remember paying $1,500.00 for a booger size My Miami chalice. I still have lots of lesser name Zoas that had been running on auto pilot for the last 6 years with Radion LEDs. My only current prized possession is Holy Gail Torch but I am ready to step back into the game. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Back