Cover the red and green leds?

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, was wondering if anyone with a "black box" led has ever covered the red and green leds with tape? I just did a little test, and I think it looks better without the red and green. Any disadvantages to doing this?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOur corals, depending on the type, will benefit from a little red and green. We are lighting our reef for the benefit of the coral's health more than for aesthetics, but, if your corals do fine under the new spectrum, roll with it!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals get plenty of green from white LEDs.

Teal, cyan, mint and green dull down tanks terribly and make everything more brown . Green also has little PAR value. You probably saw the color improvement immediately when you covered the green.

Red I disagree. Red pulls out burgundy and purple corals and really pull those colors out of zoas, but you don't need much. Some black boxes have a lot of warm white already which has red in it. Warm white and red counters excessive blue, then you dial in white to balance it out to not be so purple.

Stupid colors like green are there because the Chinese just rip stuff off from each other.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back