Covids effect on prices in the hobby. Specifically acrylic.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking into ordering a new 450 gallon acrylic aquarium for my basement and have been quoted several prices by manufacturers around the Midwest. The price quotes look to be up 30-40% compared to 2019/before the pandemic. It’s been fairly apparent that a lot of acrylic has been going to retail stores across the world to build barriers between customers and workers.

My question is do you all think after the vaccine is rolled out, oil demand/production increases, and demand for acrylic barriers decreases that the price of acrylic aquariums will decrease? Should I wait until this summer/fall to purchase?

thank you

PeakeAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking into ordering a new 450 gallon acrylic aquarium for my basement and have been quoted several prices by manufacturers around the Midwest. The price quotes look to be up 30-40% compared to 2019/before the pandemic. It’s been fairly apparent that a lot of acrylic has been going to retail stores across the world to build barriers between customers and workers.

My question is do you all think after the vaccine is rolled out, oil demand/production increases, and demand for acrylic barriers decreases that the price of acrylic aquariums will decrease? Should I wait until this summer/fall to purchase?

thank you
Is there a specific reason you wany acrylic? Prices on tanks and everything are pretty high right now. Shipping prices are extremely high and unreliable. I myself have been looking for a new frag system and keep putting it off but I believe glass is a better option right now.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily related to acrylic but IME once the cost of an item goes up it rarely comes back down. Unless the demand gets so horribly low the manufacturer has no choice.

Many years ago the price of acrylic skyrocketed in unison with one of the surges in oil price. People were cutting up old tanks for the raw material.

Prices went back down.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think I might give it a couple of months at least. Reason for acrylic vs glass is because of the mammoth weight of a 450 gallon glass tank. It has to go down a flight of stairs into my basement and I can’t imagine getting it back up in the future.

Anyone know how the fiberglass tanks with a glass viewing panel compare in price?

ChelseaNichole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank you
Hello, I just came across this and wanted to say, I've got a 400 gallon custom tank up for sale. Acryllic. Its currently got all livestock though. Located in Ozark, Alabama. Its 10' long. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me about what it would cost, per your research, to have one made? Thanks. Blessings.

Attachments

• received_867536564061252.jpeg
    received_867536564061252.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 28

ChelseaNichole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just came across this and wanted to say, I've got a 400 gallon custom tank up for sale. Acryllic. Its currently got all livestock though. Located in Ozark, Alabama. Its 10' long. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me about what it would cost, per your research, to have one made? Thanks. Blessings.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful tank but I’m looking for the specific dimensions of 72”x48x30 to fit in a spot I have. I’ve been quoted from $3600-5500.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid a better price on my soon to arrive acrylic than I was quoted in glass. I guess it depends on the fabricator, the thickness and the features.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On January 29th 2021, acrylic manufacturers announced that the price on all acrylic would go up by a certain percent due to tight supply and key raw material components.

That increase is first absorbed by the fabricator, so you can negotiate with many fabricators to find a price that will work with your budget on such a large build. The fabricator needs to set a new price on his supply and demand of builds he receives. Some fabricators that have extra supply that has not been used since the increase, might quote you lower, than say another that has to order new sheets to make your build.

You need to factor in cost of his shop, to run it and also how close he is to picking up the material via his truck, or paying for it to be delivered via pallet, then you need a larger order to get a good shipping price. Many factors go into play here to find the right price for say a consumer/reefer wanting a build.

Remember that many suppliers sold so much acrylic sheets mainly the 1/4 inch sheets to fight the pandemic, with the structured walls you see in many supermarkets, gas stations etc. The supply at hand was quickly lost and what was replaced is the higher seated prices due to the change in oil prices etc.

End result, you pay a little more, but you still will get a quality build if you are a fan of acrylic. Hope that makes sense.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back