Cp in QT and Ammonia, Nitrite test results

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can remnants of CP in a QT tank impact Redsea Ammonia and Nitrite test results? I dose Stability daily and water change every three days, the tests seems to show maximum on both but the fish seem fine, eating happily and normal. The Seachem badge shows yellow for Ammonia on the side of the QT tank as well.

There will be a very small amount of CP left in this tank and I'm wondering if it's impacting the results in anyway - if indeed it's possible?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can remnants of CP in a QT tank impact Redsea Ammonia and Nitrite test results? I dose Stability daily and water change every three days, the tests seems to show maximum on both but the fish seem fine, eating happily and normal. The Seachem badge shows yellow for Ammonia on the side of the QT tank as well.

There will be a very small amount of CP left in this tank and I'm wondering if it's impacting the results in anyway - if indeed it's possible?
It can or may contribute to false readings but should noy have high impact. Ammonia badge i find good the first couple of weeks then I no longer trust them.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can or may contribute to false readings but should noy have high impact. Ammonia badge i find good the first couple of weeks then I no longer trust them.
Thanks, I'm in the middle of an ammonia spike it seems, just doing a number of large water changes as we speak

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrite is not important in a reef environment (it's not toxic). I'm not sure that your 'ammonia spike' on the RedSea test is 'real' - if the sea chem alert is yellow - and the fish are all doing well. As to whether the chemicals (unclear whether you're talking about Chloroquine Phosphate or Copper Power) - affect RedSea tests - I would call their tech support and ask. But - depending on what you mean by 'remnants' - I would doubt that the test results would be affected.

I have never preferred RedSea tests - I find them difficult to use/read. I would also ask - what ammonia levels are you getting - and what is your pH and salinity and temperature - as all will affect the 'total ammonia' measured in the RedSea test - but not the 'free' ammonia measured by the Seachem alert

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back