CP Treatment failed...

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a month and two weeks, I noticed that my chloroquine phosphate treatment failed. It failed to cure the uronema on a chromis I had and now my clown started to get white dots again. (Chromis is way better after using API GC)

I can't use copper since I have a mandarin, but I just started TTM... Not sure what else to do... Very disappointed.

Can you please confirm that this is ick and not another parasite since TTM only works for ick?

ick.jpeg

OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the CP? How many mg/gal did you dose?

I got it from a LFS that told me they have been using with success. I dosed way more than the recommended those (75mg per gallon using a digital scale that measures in Grams) because of how bad they were and they recovered. However it came back.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any type of filtration on the tank you are using it in?

OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any type of filtration on the tank you are using it in?

I had a HOB filter with no carbon, just a sponge to capture detritus. Also two ceramic biospheres for bacteria, but one of the reasons I added extra dose was to compensate for absorption too. I think I will never know what happened .

Do you think the TTM method would work? I am using bleach to clean every device and threw away the ceramic balls. I am using a pump and a heater, thats it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM will work for ich.

If you are dealing with uromena you cant out run it by transferring. You can treat the tank(s) with metronidazole (Metroplex) for 10 days consecutively while performing transfers in order to cover ich and uronema.

If you are dealing with velvet then you could use copper + metro. This would cover ich, velvet, uronema, and Brook. Using a single tank treat with copper for 14 days (at the therapeutic level) also using metro for the first 10 days. Then transfer to a sterile tank after 14 days of therapeutic copper. I understand this is not ideal since you have a mandarin. I am just not a fan of TTM with everything we see the fish come in with recently.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a HOB filter with no carbon, just a sponge to capture detritus. Also two ceramic biospheres for bacteria, but one of the reasons I added extra dose was to compensate for absorption too. I think I will never know what happened .

Do you think the TTM method would work? I am using bleach to clean every device and threw away the ceramic balls. I am using a pump and a heater, thats it.
To be clear, the poly the carbon came in for the HOB filter — did you remove it entirely or simply cut the carbon out?

When you say sponge, can you send us a link of what you used or a photo?

I’d also ask where they got the CP— many sources aren’t so great but theoretically short of something removing it 75 mg should have done the trick.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM will work for ich.

If you are dealing with uromena you cant out run it by transferring. You can treat the tank(s) with metronidazole (Metroplex) for 10 days consecutively while performing transfers in order to cover ich and uronema.

If you are dealing with velvet then you could use copper + metro. This would cover ich, velvet, uronema, and Brook. Using a single tank treat with copper for 14 days (at the therapeutic level) also using metro for the first 10 days. Then transfer to a sterile tank after 14 days of therapeutic copper. I understand this is not ideal since you have a mandarin. I am just not a fan of TTM with everything we see the fish come in with recently.
To add to this, you’ll want to feed foods with metroplex and seachem focus mixed in to combat brook internally as well to truly eradicate it. If you didn’t do this the first time, that is likely how uronema held on.

Did you dose/add beneficial bacteria in a
bottle with the CP?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a month and two weeks, I noticed that my chloroquine phosphate treatment failed. It failed to cure the uronema on a chromis I had and now my clown started to get white dots again. (Chromis is way better after using API GC)

I can't use copper since I have a mandarin, but I just started TTM... Not sure what else to do... Very disappointed.

Can you please confirm that this is ick and not another parasite since TTM only works for ick?

ick.jpeg
I’m not entirely sure you’re dealing with ick the spots look very raised almost like fish with copper reactions do. But I do also see spots. It’s tough to tell for sure with that photo. Could you post a few more?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights were you running with the cp? It does degrade relatively quickly when exposed to heavy lighting.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked or treated for flukes as well?

I’m not really seeing typical “ich” spots on that clown either... looks more to me like some sort of medication reaction or even a bacterial infection. Someone recently posted a picture of a tang that was treated for ich and it had broken out in lympho-like lesions all over its body. That’s kind of what this reminds me of, to a much lesser degree...

Obviously, better safe than sorry if you think it could be crypto - you are there observing the fish in person- but just doesn’t look quite right to me.

OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your responses!!

So, no polifilter was used, just a regular "mesh" with no medication. No lights were used, just ambient light from windows and lamps.

I did use live bacteria to cycle the tank from API, also added some Amquel (articles I read said they are compatible), and also used some API GC through the course of the treatment with proper WCs (wc were medicated as well).

Have you checked or treated for flukes as well?

I’m not really seeing typical “ich” spots on that clown either... looks more to me like some sort of medication reaction or even a bacterial infection. Someone recently posted a picture of a tang that was treated for ich and it had broken out in lympho-like lesions all over its body. That’s kind of what this reminds me of, to a much lesser degree...

Obviously, better safe than sorry if you think it could be crypto - you are there observing the fish in person- but just doesn’t look quite right to me.

It could be a possibility. It's the only fish with those spots. They are now in fresh mixed water. How can I treat that reaction?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s basically excess mucus coming from the insertion spots that we see. You should definitely make sure the water quality is kept up to par. An antiseptic bath (acriflavine) might be helpful if it is bacterial in nature, but otherwise just need time and small amounts of good foods, frequently.

If you did not check for flukes, I would highly suggest a 5-minute freshwater dip to rule them out.
Freshwater Dip
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...p?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/&share_type=t

OP
OP
A.Percula

A.Percula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

So during the TTM I added Metroplex and the clown looks way better. No signs of bumps or anything else on him.

Back