Crab ID

BunBunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I got some live (wet) rock from my LFS and as I was inspecting the rocks and putting them in the QT tub, I noticed this little guy in a crevice. He’s about the size of a penny and I didn’t see black tips on his claws.

54ECA7E0-CB4E-4BEB-A6FD-937B4BBB7080.jpeg 5DBFD546-8750-4059-BC5D-76EC41F6D3A0.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still could be a juvenile gorilla crab. Are the legs covered in very coarse hairs? (More than most crabs) Regardless, it looks like some type of Xanthid crab. I'd toss it in the sump. When in doubt, get it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BunBunCorals

BunBunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still could be a juvenile gorilla crab. Are the legs covered in very coarse hairs? (More than most crabs) Regardless, it looks like some type of Xanthid crab. I'd toss it in the sump.
Not really… it has 6 legs and tiny claws that aren’t pointed. More rounded. There isn’t a speck of black on the little guy. I’ve decided to separate him and put him in his own little quarantine tank to see what he may grow out to be. Thank you for your feedback!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really… it has 6 legs and tiny claws that aren’t pointed. More rounded. There isn’t a speck of black on the little guy. I’ve decided to separate him and put him in his own little quarantine tank to see what he may grow out to be. Thank you for your feedback!
If you have a sump, he could become part of your cleanup crew. I just wouldn't trust it in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back