Crab I'd

Salty87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so i have a tiny 5 gal tank setup to qt my macro algae. Didn't touch it after it got infected with ich due to me cross contaminating it. It currently houses a small piece of live rock that has feather caulerpa attached and another piece of unidentified green macro algae. So it's been close to a month of basically letting nature take its course with it.

I usually find some new critter that's popped up in there (copepods, bristle worms etc. Today I found this little guy. Don't know if it's beneficial or harmful. About 5 mm in diameter and residing in the unknown algae. Any help in identifying him is appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

20220809_040829.jpg 20220809_040823.jpg

OP
OP
S

Salty87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ll likely end up in my Hob refugium along with the macro algae. Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to know if he's a pest and if I should remove him.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a pitho crab. But yeah I wouldn’t add it to your reef directly, but I’d keep him in a refugium :)
it’s kinda hard to tell exactly what he is. He could also maybe be a baby shore crab or some sort of big crab species.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black pointy tips on the crabs pinchers aren't a good sign.
If it's hairy it's a no.
Red eyes are also a teller for a no crab. Aka gorilla crab. Hths you

From what I can see in the picture the crab appears to be smooth and have kool markings. I'd prob leave it be until I caught it munching something I wanted to keep. Lol
D

OP
OP
S

Salty87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a pitho crab. But yeah I wouldn’t add it to your reef directly, but I’d keep him in a refugium :)
it’s kinda hard to tell exactly what he is. He could also maybe be a baby shore crab or some sort of big crab species.
Yup he's going to be a refugium resident. He's likely come in a larval state or something as he definitely wasn't there a month ago

OP
OP
S

Salty87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black pointy tips on the crabs pinchers aren't a good sign.
If it's hairy it's a no.
Red eyes are also a teller for a no crab. Aka gorilla crab. Hths you

From what I can see in the picture the crab appears to be smooth and have kool markings. I'd prob leave it be until I caught it munching something I wanted to keep. Lol
D
Yup I was worried about him being a gorilla but as you said doesn't have the hairy carapace. He can munch away at the caulerpa as much as he wants lol

Back