Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an email to their "contact us" on their site and Steve Chow replied.

Very easy to work with and the turn around time was phenomenal for answers to questions as well as changes to the plan drawings.

Steve is a great guy. Spoke to him on many occasions. Best of luck with the build, it'll be great!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some investigation into the walls to see what would have to move. Some electrical and some framing will be needed for the stand and to allow an open top access from the front.

It's becoming more real!
1318aa5b237f0834e5b1caeae145768e.jpg
e69ef7109a9eeca93e1f30dbb5a1dc92.jpg

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand Design for the 60x30x20" Main Display.

Some context for the picture:

• The "Back" of the stand is facing the main basement room and will have the bar rail (which is why the plywood is extended)
  • The "Front" of the stand is facing the fish room. This is the only side that will NOT have a plywood skin. Thoughts here?
  • The long runs without main supports will be done in 2x6" (Back will be skinned with 1/2" Ply and the front will not. Should I skin the top portion of the front for more rigidity?)
  • All other runs will be 2x4"
  • Top and all sides (minus the fishroom main opening) will be skinnned in 1/2" Plywood
  • Lastly, the purple horizontal 2x4 across the "Back" will also be skinned with 1/2" ply for additional rigidity from the Teal 2x6 to the Purple 2x4".

Does anyone think the front 2x6 run of 60" without Plywood skin is too risky?? Does it need additional support? If so, I'd have to do something similar to the back due to the Rubbermaid Sump being 31" deep..

Back (Bar/Basement Side)
60x30 Stand -  Back (Bar Side).JPG

Front (Fishroom Side)
60x30 Stand - Front (Fish Room.JPG

Bar Front - Sketch
10958e3f803e8fad00cc55f052647437.jpg

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am working on how to build the front opening and I'll only have about 16" of vertical space available to me. I'm also hoping not to have to use any hinges due to salt creep.

Here is what I have...
  • At the top on each end, I have slot openings that are the size of a 2x4 that allow for the door piece to slide in.
  • Each piece will have a wood overlap by 1" on one of the sides (to go with the moulding.
  • On the bottom, I'm running a piece of PVC with a 90 degree from both ends. This will be the backstop for the bottom so the Door panels do not feel the need to slide in..

Benefits:
  • No metal to rust
  • Will look clean from outside
  • Simple design, easy to implement.
  • Entirety of the door panel can be removed which allows for more headroom (given the limited space)
Cons:
  • May be tough to remote and replace
  • May have to add handles to the front which will take away from the design.

From the outside corner:

Front Access Cover 1.JPG

From the Back
Front Access Cover 2.JPG

View of the full opening and design:
Basement - Updated Bar Tank.JPG

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think you should do the corner setup for the main tank, I also think you should do the porthole idea into the 48x24 tank. I don't think you need to worry too much about seeing a messy fish room through it, at 12" max diameter (due to height of tank) the porthole is presumably only really going to be visible from behind the bar and the first seat there.... Your fish room is probably going to be the single most expensive and time consuming Project in the entire basement, best to make sure you can admire it from as many angles and places as possible!

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely think you should do the corner setup for the main tank, I also think you should do the porthole idea into the 48x24 tank. I don't think you need to worry too much about seeing a messy fish room through it, at 12" max diameter (due to height of tank) the porthole is presumably only really going to be visible from behind the bar and the first seat there.... Your fish room is probably going to be the single most expensive and time consuming Project in the entire basement, best to make sure you can admire it from as many angles and places as possible!
I like the port hole idea!

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am working on how to build the front opening and I'll only have about 16" of vertical space available to me. I'm also hoping not to have to use any hinges due to salt creep.

Here is what I have...
  • At the top on each end, I have slot openings that are the size of a 2x4 that allow for the door piece to slide in.
  • Each piece will have a wood overlap by 1" on one of the sides (to go with the moulding.
  • On the bottom, I'm running a piece of PVC with a 90 degree from both ends. This will be the backstop for the bottom so the Door panels do not feel the need to slide in..

Benefits:
  • No metal to rust
  • Entirety of the door panel can be removed which allows for more headroom (given the limited space)
Cons:

From the outside corner:

Front Access Cover 1.JPG

From the Back
Front Access Cover 2.JPG

#reefsquad @reefsquad any one you can recommend to look at post 26 and provide some feedback on DIY in-wall front access design? TIA

Last edited:
OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT/Hospital, coral QT, and TTM tanks are in. Also heaters and Ammonia badges.

Rock is done with the first week of cycling in a brute container also.

f585d76875951ff978be5cedf94a7ba9.jpg

a27df40246c15118ee8028cbac4e6dab.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that you have a great design:)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll see if my carpentry skills agree with you!
Can't be any worse than me, my carpentry skills include making a mess on the carpet ;Joyful

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be any worse than me, my carpentry skills include making a mess on the carpet ;Joyful
That was the last time I used a marineland stand (first tank). After that I will always build my stand to catch and contain liquid and it saved me a lot over the years!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anxiously waiting for a call to deliver the tank.. LTL shipping company picked it up on Monday in California... long drive to IL I suppose!

Last night I got an hour to myself and decided to do the rest of the demolition of the shelves and counters in the fish room.

10ff55326acdc2a8b9dbbe5420481dc9.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is what I have...

Benefits:
  • No metal to rust
Cons:

From the outside corner:

Front Access Cover 1.JPG

From the Back
Front Access Cover 2.JPG

I think that your idea for the front access panels will work while not compromising access. I would just account for some wood expansion and contraction so I would not make the slide in piece for the overlap a tight fit. I had a similar dilemma on how to attach my canopy sections without compromising access and I finally decided on suspending my canopy sections from aluminum hangers.

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that your idea for the front access panels will work while not compromising access. I would just account for some wood expansion and contraction so I would not make the slide in piece for the overlap a tight fit. I had a similar dilemma on how to attach my canopy sections without compromising access and I finally decided on suspending my canopy sections from aluminum hangers.
Appreciate the feedback.

Im also thinking of sealing all the wood that is around or above the tank to ensure I don't have any moisture issues with the wood. I've done the same with sump areas on previous stands.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback.

Im also thinking of sealing all the wood that is around or above the tank to ensure I don't have any moisture issues with the wood. I've done the same with sump areas on previous stands.

I put min 2 coats of Killz oderless oil-based primer/sealer on all of the wood used to build my system.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back