Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: This will be a very slow build :).

After having my 60g shallow reef and 120 gallon display tank setup decommissioned after selling my last house, my 8g AIO has not keeping up with my addiction. That said, our family moved into a new home a month ago and after getting some projects around the house complete, I finally got around to making the first few purchases for the fish room build.

Proposed Layout Options:
Opposite the Tank is a wall mounted television and surround sound for movies. The coach will be in-between the TV and the wall the tank is on so I was planning on leaving enough room for a bar rail and a few chairs. This leaves extra space for people to sit and enjoy the movie or the tank :)

Option 1 - Centered on the outside wall with a 4" drink rest/bar rail. Only the 155g would be visible from the outside. the 58g would be for me. I had thoughts of making it visible to the bar, but at 11" through the wall I wasnt sure. TBD!
Option 1 - Centered.JPG

Option 2 - Corner setup so you can see both sides of the tank in the basement. One side from the bar and the other from the main area. Bar rail would be continued around as is Option 1. Same deal with the 58g. TBD!
Option 2 - Corner.JPG

What are your guys' thoughts on the options above?
Both systems will have a Hospital Tank/Coral QT as well as two 10g TTM tanks. I'm also lucky enough to have an existing utility sink in the room with an ejector pit on the other side. Conjuring up a way to create an opening to that pit in case of spillage.

The Tanks:
SC Aquariums 158g 60" x 30" x 20" tall drilled for Synery Shadow 16 overflow.
60x30x20.JPG

SC Aquariums 58g 48" x 24" x 12" tall also drilled for Synery Shadow 16 overflow.
48x24x12.JPG

40 breeder for Coral QT/Hospital Tank
Two 10g for TTM​

Main Tank Equipment
* notates that this is not yet purchased.
  • Existing ATI 6-Bulb
  • Vortech M1 Return Pump
  • 2x Vortech MP40
  • 2x PP-16*
  • Simplicity 2000 240DC Skimmer
  • Apex Gold Package
  • Apex EB4 (2 additional)
  • Addtl Apex PM1 + Temp (additional)
  • Apex EB8 (additional)
  • 2x 50ml min Dosers
  • 2x 1.1ml min Dosers
Shallow Frag Tank
  • 2x Ocren Revive T247
  • Vortech MP10
  • Jabao PP-8
  • Jabao PP-4
Miscellaneous
  • 2x 10g TTM Tanks
  • 1x 40 Breeder Hospital
  • 1c 29g Coral QT
  • 2x 300W Heaters
  • Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock tank (Sump)

Stocking List/Wish List
List is definitely not final and some of the smaller fish will reside in the 58g rather than the 155g. Open to suggestions.
  • Watchman Goby + Tiger Shrimp pair
  • Second Watchman goby (much smaller, hoping for a pair)*
  • Yellow Tang*
  • Yellow Eye Kole Tang*
  • Square Tail Bristletooth Tang*
  • Clownfish pair*
  • Blue/Green Chromis (large number added after tank establishes)*
  • Six Line Wrasse*
  • Target or Green Mandarin*
  • Barnacle Blenny*
  • Leopard Wrasse*
  • Cleaner Shrimp 2x*
  • Fire Blood Shrimp*
  • Variety of SPS coral*
  • Few LPS*
  • Zoanthids*
Rock:
I have some pukani rock from my previous 120 that I decommissioned early this year when selling my last home. I also purchased some branch "Life Rock" and this stuff is gorgeous.
Life Rock Branch.jpg

Over the next month of so, I hope to get some time to setup a staging area the footprint of the tank to start creating my aquascape. My last 120g you can see below. I definitely learned from this build. I loved the rock work; however, coral placement was not the best.
120g Aquascape.JPG

Future Fish Room:
This room needs some TLC; Shelving removed, vents covered and protected from saltwater spray and evaporation, new electrical run (luckily the panel is only 8' away), among other items. Currently this room is being used as storage for all my existing fish gear.

I'll also probably lay a new floor and re-paint the walls with a more water resistant paint.

Outside the Room:
Again, please excuse the mess. We decided to put all the lego and toys down for the kids and the rest is storage until we get working. Basement needs a solid overhaul including the DIY bar.
My goal will be to use stacked stone or reclaimed barnwood around the outside of the tank and across the bar. Wood bar top and professional bar rail, and will likely tile the floors in this room.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal preference would be to use the corner placement for the big tank - I love being able to look through the length of the thing, and really have that feeling that it goes on for a ways . . .

Looks like it's going to become a magnificent center to your new home!

~Bruce

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal preference would be to use the corner placement for the big tank - I love being able to look through the length of the thing, and really have that feeling that it goes on for a ways . . .

Looks like it's going to become a magnificent center to your new home!

~Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I have a feeling that is the way I am leaning also. Either way, I get to enjoy that view from the fishroom, it would be nice to be able to comfortable enjoy that view from the bar :)

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting getting some equipment together and getting what I do own cleaned up.

Finally after moving, my little 8g AIO finally ran low on top-off water so I needed to get the RODI unit hooked up. New In-line TDS meter is shipped and should be arriving today as I could not find my existing hand-held unit after the move. With well water, I'm slightly concerned; however, the previous owners installed a water softener and after moving in, we installed an Iron removal system due to the iron smell in the water. Showers were the worst!

Here are a few pictures of the equipment and all the Life Reef Rock:

20170803_095500 (2).jpg

And the Life Reef Rock. I have to say, I'm impressed with the colors. I thought for sure before I saw them in person that they would look ultra fake; however, after coraline starts taking over the other pukani rock I will be using also, it will blend really well.

Only con I see is a lot of the pieces are very very similar in shape (looks like that had 3 molds). After picking them up second hand for a steal, I can't complain!

20170803_095438.jpg

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the lights question for the main tank...

I'm looking at either 3-4 T247 with potential to add 2x Actinic T5 bulbs for supplementation OR keeping my existing 48" 6-bulb ATI Sunpower with potential to add some supplemental 420-450nm LED strips.

I had amazing success with T5 over my last system. Previous to that I have a few Evergrow IT2040's and never quite dialed them in well enough to color up some of my acros. However, with that said, there is a local reefer using Ocean Revive t247's with amazing success...

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have been having some fun over the last few days on Sketch Up (3D modeling software). This takes me back to using auto-cad back in high school/college..

Fish Room:
Don't pay any attention to the tank stands.. they are not drawn to spec of how they will be eventually built. This was for ease of modeling :)
  • Main tank 60x30x20
  • Frag/Grow Out tank 48x24x12
  • TTM Tanks 10g
  • 40g Breeder Hospital Tank/Coral QT
  • Water change brute containers will likely go between the Sink and Frag tanks due to the space.
  • The weird ceiling is actually the vents that travel through the room. They severely limited by tanks height unfortunately and re-routing them would be very tough as well as restricting to the upstairs heat and AC.
FishRoom3-3D.JPG

FishRoom2-3D.JPG

FishRoom1-3D.JPG

Basement:
Barstools were too hard to figure out how to draw haha. Maybe there is some 3D model insert tool / pre-designed models.
  • Walls will likely be horizontal reclaimed wood (not all same length and width)
  • Bar will be stacked stone, not travertine.. Limitation with the free software :)
  • Bar Rail in front of tank with additional seating. This will be used for additional seating during movies/games as well as tank viewing.
  • Thinking about putting a viewing window (or port windows) from the bar into the fish room.. but that means I have to keep it clean!
  • Reading nook under the basement stairs for the kid. He loves reading.
Basement1-3D.JPG

Basement2-3D.JPG

Basement3-3D.JPG

Basement4-3D.JPG

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update:

I hooked up my RODI system and did some research on well and septic systems and the addition of salt water! Happy with the results that there is not much to worry about.

I also hooked up a 2 stage TDS Meter (after RO and after DI) and a 1/4" line pressure gauge.

TDS before the RODI System is ~770-780..
TDS before after the RO and before the DI is ~20-30.. Based on this I had to do a little more research.

It turns out that my RO unit was not 96.2% effective which should be much much higher. This was due to my pressure being at 45 PSI.

Next purchase came very quickly.. Booster pump. Expecting delivery today!

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more detailed pictures of my build plan. I'm liking the corner setup better; however, this is yet to be approved by my better half. The one thing I do have going for me is that the basement is mine (and the kids) haha!

Don't worry, I won't actually be keeping 5 Blue Tangs in this tank.. Just for fun in the pictures!

Far Left Hand Side of Basement.
Basement Corner v2 - 1.JPG

Center of room:
Basement Corner v2 - 2.JPG

Peeking into the fish room from basement room. View is through the laundry/mechanical room
Basement Corner v2 - 3.JPG

Fish room (View from Mechanical room if there was no wall)
Basement Corner v2 - 4.JPG

Fish Room (View from back wall)
Basement Corner v2 - 5.JPG
Basement Corner v2 - 5.JPG

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Rubbermaid structural foam stock tank for the sump yesterday. I'm thinking about building a glass box with bubble baffles to eliminate bubbles from skimmer and returns back to the tank. Will also have to put some glass down where the heaters are going also.. don't want to melt through the stock tank and flood the basement!

Thoughts? Am I going about this the right way or are there other ideas/recommendations?

Return Pump in Stock Tank.JPG

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish #reefsquad

I was doing some research on your (humblefish) Hospital and TTM treatment regiments and realized that the TTM tanks need to be 10FT or more away from the main display or any peripheral systems.. Here in lies my problem. I have been banished to the fish room (not the problem haha), but my tanks must all remain in this 10' by 8' space.

Are there any other solutions you have come by that mitigate aerosol transmission? I'm not against sealing the TTM and QT tanks within a plastic room and venting to the main room (think Dexter) with a zipper entrance to maintain the QT, hospital, and TTM tanks.. I'm even OK aerating this virtual plastic room to the main living area or mechanical room (less included on the later due to the furnace).

I am determined to perform QT and TTM treatments on all in-bound residents. Hoping I can come up with a solution.

The post #9 above, you can see the proposed fish room layout in a 3D rendering. Thanks in advance!

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ihavecrabs You can use visqueen and tape to seal off a section of the room for QT.

Or blow fan(s) from DT to QT. <-- (I'm less confident with this method.)
Thanks! I'll look into those options.

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some braided tubing sleeves for my dosing (red) and ATO (blue) tubing to dress things up a bit.

Tanks are also on the way so I should see a delivery on the next week or two!

f037e3c4e932435186d3ed8686ba2c04.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just built a house and that is all I wanted to do...but my lovely wife declined to allow it. That is going to be amazing! :)

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just built a house and that is all I wanted to do...but my lovely wife declined to allow it. That is going to be amazing! :)
Oh man, I hate to hear that (and do hear it way to often on here!)

I'll let you live vicariously through me haha.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build! I have had two sc aquariums and didn't know they build custom tanks till now haha. That's awesome.

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build! I have had two sc aquariums and didn't know they build custom tanks till now haha. That's awesome.
I sent an email to their "contact us" on their site and Steve Chow replied.

Very easy to work with and the turn around time was phenomenal for answers to questions as well as changes to the plan drawings.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back