Crab's 40G Breeder Mixed Reef Tank

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the stand Crabs. I like that you have the two power heads on the back, how's the flow?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the stand Crabs. I like that you have the two power heads on the back, how's the flow?
Everything seems to be responding well. I had them on the sides, and decided for a cleaner look to put them on the back wall. And so far so good :)

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be responding well. I had them on the sides, and decided for a cleaner look to put them on the back wall. And so far so good :)
Great. I have mine on the sides but on the back give a nice clean look. I will try later.
Thanks

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones how did you change the stand? You make it sound like a small update!!!
Lol! It was a huge undertaking. And in the end I did need the assistance of my brother in law to help me do it. I had to re-do my plumbing as well since the new stand raised my sump up 4 inches closer than before. Long story short, I disconnected the sump and took off all the plumbing, drained about two buckets worth of water out of the display, put the new stand in front of the old stand, and slid the tank on. Then got the sump out of the old stand and put it in the new stand and slid it all into place. Then it was just a matter of running all the wires (which I did a major wire clean up, before it was an absolute mess, this time they're all tie strapped together and neatly tucked away) and trimming the plumbing and hooking it all back up. Overall I'd say it took me 6 1/2 hours. While the tank was offline during the switchover I do have spare powerheads I keep on hand just incase, I had those hooked up to a different powerstrip for flow in the tank along with my spare heater. I also put one in the sump to keep that water moving.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! It was a huge undertaking. And in the end I did need the assistance of my brother in law to help me do it. I had to re-do my plumbing as well since the new stand raised my sump up 4 inches closer than before. Long story short, I disconnected the sump and took off all the plumbing, drained about two buckets worth of water out of the display, put the new stand in front of the old stand, and slid the tank on. Then got the sump out of the old stand and put it in the new stand and slid it all into place. Then it was just a matter of running all the wires (which I did a major wire clean up, before it was an absolute mess, this time they're all tie strapped together and neatly tucked away) and trimming the plumbing and hooking it all back up. Overall I'd say it took me 6 1/2 hours. While the tank was offline during the switchover I do have spare powerheads I keep on hand just incase, I had those hooked up to a different powerstrip for flow in the tank along with my spare heater. I also put one in the sump to keep that water moving.

Now that sounds like a major update lol.

So you had to drain 10G water from the display and then sliding it. Man that is an undertaking.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that sounds like a major update lol.

So you had to drain 10G water from the display and then sliding it. Man that is an undertaking.
Alot of it ran into the sump, and I have two 6 gallon buckets, so I was able to drain 12 extra gallons on top of what went into the sump when I turned off the return pump. So not to bad :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and update. I like the new clean look of the stand!!

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I broke into a cold sweat just reading this update! New stand does look great. glad this is behind you.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crabs_mcjones -- Do you find the AquaticLife T5 hybrid fixture is a little wide (front to back) for your 40 Breeder? I know they fit a tank with 24" depth (front to back) perfectly, but was wondering how it is on an 18" like the 40B
Actually, the 36 inch fixture is 18 inches width, so it fits my 40 breeder perfectly length and width
20180517_212909.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back