Crab's is about ready to throw in the towel.

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but trying to learn. I think there are drastic changes going on with your water changes. I would let the alk drop gradually to around 7 - 7.2. Are you dosing? Has your alk consumption reduced after the issues have started? Looks like you pretty much did a 100% water change over a period of time. I will stop carbon, as sometimes a high-efficiency carbon will strip off more good stuff than the bad. Running GFO on n off will also be stressing the corals. Just my thoughts.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is some toxin that is not measurable causing the problem. Certain none of the macronutrients stuff. Can you see what is not affect and what is affected in your tank?
Fish and other mobile animals OK. Which corals in trouble and which corals seem fine?

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just saw this in the email from R2R. Haven't looked at the entire thread.
I'm successful STN/RTN defeater and I'm known as the guy who came up with the Witch Hazel Tank Treatment to cure TN (AKA Andre Mueller).

But unfortunately it's not that easy in every case.
May I ask you what the lowest PH is in the tank in the morning and if you do have a APEX PH curve I can analyse???

-Andre

This tank suffered from severe STN/RTN outbreak in the beginning of this year, lost corals daily. Picture is from this week ;-)

1570157693757.png

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like your city uses chlorine.
4698858F-1CBD-4345-8342-CA2E62FAEA1F.jpeg
A2E5E0AE-5E45-4CA2-85EE-9C1465FA6EAD.jpeg
At the bottom it says "system water is constantly tested for chlorine residuals"
What does that mean?
Also why would this start just within the last month when we've been in the house since march 30th? Corals were looking absolutely beautiful over a month ago.
Thanks for any help! :)

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through this exact same scenario and every water change I did made things worse. I cant say specifically that it was chloramines, but I did add two chloramine blocks and it may have been one of the things that helped.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just saw this in the email from R2R. Haven't looked at the entire thread.
I'm successful STN/RTN defeater and I'm known as the guy who came up with the Witch Hazel Tank Treatment to cure TN (AKA Andre Mueller).

But unfortunately it's not that easy in every case.
May I ask you what the lowest PH is in the tank in the morning and if you do have a APEX PH curve I can analyse???

-Andre

This tank suffered from severe STN/RTN outbreak in the beginning of this year, lost corals daily. Picture is from this week ;-)

1570157693757.png
Would high ph cause any of this? It can sometimes get as high as 8.51
But it normally sits around 8.2 to 8.4

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like your city uses chlorine.
4698858F-1CBD-4345-8342-CA2E62FAEA1F.jpeg
A2E5E0AE-5E45-4CA2-85EE-9C1465FA6EAD.jpeg
This is fond du lac, I'm in north fond du lac and I'm not 100% positive that it's the same water as I pay my water bill with a different website.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to answer someone's earlier question fish are doing great. Soft corals (zoanthids, mushrooms) are open and happy. My sunrise mille looks great, my stag acro looks fine. But everything else is dying

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to answer someone's earlier question fish are doing great. Soft corals (zoanthids, mushrooms) are open and happy. My sunrise mille looks great, my stag acro looks fine. But everything else is dying
What and how much do you feed per day?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read through the thread. Have you by chance used any silicone, even a small dab recently? That’s the last thing I could think of... I would run GAC,maybe cuprisorb and provide stability until your ICP comes back. Good luck crabs!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest assumption and speculation thread yet....

Patience and wait for ICP. Hopefully you got one that test the RODI reservoir.

It will work itself out. Just don't change too much before you get results.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read through the thread. Have you by chance used any silicone, even a small dab recently? That’s the last thing I could think of... I would run GAC,maybe cuprisorb and provide stability until your ICP comes back. Good luck crabs!
No silicone
Currently running carbon

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're feed LRS frozen food, once a day. And an algae sheet
I think doubling up your feedings wouldn’t hurt anything while you’re waiting for your Icp results. I like to keep my po4 above 0.1 (33 ppb) because I keep my Alk @ 8.5.

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely try carbon. It’s worth it if everything is dying. Also get some poly filter. It will remove copper and a bunch of other metals. It also removes certain medications. It’s a easy thing to do that can take bad stuff out of the water. Just a couple options.

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your running the carbon. Check out the poly filter

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs McJones check your iodine levels, check you copper levels, and check your alkalinity. This sounds to me like a low to no iodine level. I've seen this before especially changing from Fritz.
Copper I know for sure is 0. I used my hannah high range tester to make sure. Alk has been steadily between 8.0 and 8.5

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper I know for sure is 0. I used my hannah high range tester to make sure. Alk has been steadily between 8.0 and 8.5

Ok good. Sounds like an iodine issue to be honest. Did you get back results or did you send out ICP yet?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back