Crab's is about ready to throw in the towel.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a big jump to think that Randy is suggesting that having zero iodine can't be a problem. That is much different than his assertion that he hasn't seen benefit to supplemental iodide additions. Every time I have seen him discuss this he has been careful to qualify his statements by saying that he hasn't seen evidence of it or it hasn't matched his experience. I have never seen him definitively state that iodine isn't necessary for coral health.
As cheap as iodine supplements are when compared to coral I would consider dosing it because as Randy has said, it doesn't seem to do any harm. If there is a chance it would help, it seems like a reasonable action to take.

A better argument could be made that the salt mix should contain enough iodide such that the frequent water changes that have been performed should have corrected the issue.

Given that he’s said in writing that he stopped dosing iodine entirely in his own tank, I don’t think your interpretation about what he said is accurate. He certainly frequents this board, so one could just ask him instead of guessing.

I at least quoted him verbatim. You’ve offered absolutely nothing but conjecture. And yes, Randy rightly says things like “he’s seen no evidence” because he knows he doesn’t know everything. It’s a serious leap to then claim that would mean that he thinks lack of iodine would be a problem, which he has never said. I think you are seriously misinterpreting what he actually wrote on the thread that I quoted him from.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested free and total chlorine. Both came back 0

Well that's ruled out then. I guess that's good...but not an answer for you :(

If you decide to reboot, and you want live rock (I realize maybe you don't) talk to the folks at Best Fish in Milwaukee. They get theirs from somewhere in Florida so it isn't typical "dead looking" live rock. There are some hitchhikers of course. My last batch had a couple aptasia but also 4 crabs (good guys so far, some version of a mithrax crab), bristle stars, tons of sponges, cup coral...you get the idea.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are seriously misinterpreting what he actually wrote on the thread that I quoted him from.
This is what you said.
Unlikely that low iodine is causing these problems. Unless you disagree with RHF:

This is what Randy said.
I've not seen any evidence that typical SPS corals benefit from supplemental iodide and/or iodate (the forms of iodine in seawater).
"I've not seen any evidence" doesn't translate to "lack of iodine cannot cause coral issues and I disagree with anyone who says it can".

It’s a serious leap to then claim that would mean that he thinks lack of iodine would be a problem, which he has never said.
I'm not sure where you get this from. I never claimed he would say it was a problem. Only that it can't be ruled out based on his statements. To say that I am in disagreement with RHF based on my comment that multiple R2R members expecting low iodine was a problem is disingenuous at best.

Let's look at what he has already said on this topic.

But if you are having issues, it is a fine experiment to try dosing iodide and see what happens. It is very unlikely to hurt anything by dosing it. I dosed it for many years, before stopping because I saw no apparent benefit.
I don't think there's much evidence to support those claims of why it is important, but it is easy to dose a suitable supplement and see if you see any apparent improvement in the tank. :)
Nothing in his quotes discourage people from dosing it and I haven't seen where he has ruled out the possibility it could be of a benefit. So, as I said before and in line with the recommendations in these quotes from RHF, I would encourage Crabs to try dosing it.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can save up for a while, for just a little more you can order Tamp Bat Saltwater live rock... I think they're $5 per pound if you just get live rock. Can't recommend them enough for a stable system.

I went that route and still have mixed feelings about it. My tank has been absolutely bulletproof (knock on wood), but I've also been battling a pistol shrimp infestation as a result of the live rock. Already killed ten of them. Still have at least one in the tank and no real hopes of ridding myself of them anytime soon.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went that route and still have mixed feelings about it. My tank has been absolutely bulletproof (knock on wood), but I've also been battling a pistol shrimp infestation as a result of the live rock. Already killed ten of them. Still have at least one in the tank and no real hopes of ridding myself of them anytime soon.

I’ve never heard of pistol shrimp being aggressive. Lots of people buy gobies to live with them.

If you really want to get rid of him, something like a paddlefin wrasse might do the trick.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get real good ocean rock like dry Fiji? You’re very well connected in this industry, I’m sure you’d have no difficulty in finding some. The benefits and porosity of real rock vs quarried garbage makes it an obvious choice for any advanced hobbyist.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get real good ocean rock like dry Fiji? You’re very well connected in this industry, I’m sure you’d have no difficulty in finding some. The benefits and porosity of real rock vs quarried garbage makes it an obvious choice for any advanced hobbyist.
Lol, I actually have no connections. I'm kind of awkward when it comes to that stuff, i'm not good at asking for favors ;Sorry

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are your connections! If I had some I would send it to you. I understand the "asking for favors" feeling but even Craig's List Wanted can be an easy place to post random requests like this. No joke, I find the oddest Wanted postings on there. Hugs! Don't quit! Just reboot!

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.
I'm posting this in a last ditch effort to figure out what in the world is going on with my tank. As most of you know I tried switching salts from Fritz to Red Sea Blue Bucket and changed out all my RO/DI filters under suspicion there was contamination or the filters were past exhaustion. I've done well over 125 gallons worth of water changes and I can't seem to get any improvement.
My tri color is stn'ing from the tips, most of my montipora are dying or dead, and now my culture shock is loosing tissue at the tips. I also have cyanobacteria and hair algae taking over.
I have an ICP test coming tomorrow that i'm going to send out, but by the time the results come in everything will likely be dead.
So here's where I'm at.
Salinity is 1.026 (double and triple checked)
Alk has been stable between 8.0 and 8.5 (checked with both salifert and hannah)
Calcium has been between 420-450
Mag 1400
Nitrate is floating around 10
Phosphate is around .05
Nothing has changed in lighting, been running two Hydra 26's on the AB+ schedule with 4 t5's that are only 3 months old.
I've checked every piece of equipment for rusting. Checked stray voltage. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.
All RO filters, including membranes, and both DI canisters were changed out prior to the 125 gallon change out. Even before that though I was getting 0 TDS water.
I've pitched my saltwater mixing station and went back to my 6 gallon food grade buckets I used before moving.

I'm at wits end and ready to throw in the towel!
Please talk me out of it :( Otherwise the 75 is going to be turned into a nice Bearded Dragon enclosure

OMG! This is EXACTLY what I have been going through! I’ve been convinced it was because I hadn’t been able to spend time on the tank, because of taking care of my dad & mother-in-law. My 4 year old gold torch coral is turning white. I‘ve lost two large colonies, RainbowPaly’s & JF Tiger zoa’s, that I’ve had for at least 3 years and there are some others that look like they’re going too!

Need to read the rest of this thread. I’m hope things turned around for you, because I told my LFS store I was done:(

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way everyone, I cannot put into words to express how thankful I am at the amount of responses i'm getting of people trying to help. You all are what makes R2R what it is!
Still reading, but I had to chime in. I have cognitive issues caused by MS and was too embarrassed to ask for help here. Probably one of the dumbest decisions I’ve made, because R2R is an amazing group of people...now back to the thread

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back