Crack in bulk head threads on return.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be a tapered pipe thread fitting and not need anything to to seal. Unless its british parallel pipe thread, that is not likely. Orko doesn't understand how pipe threads work. Do not shorten the fittings. It relies on thread pitch and taper to seal. Hence why the teflon tape caused the break.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0314191749_Film4.jpg

Looking at the threads and cracks, I'd replace it.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use that you have. This.
15525990206407152139002942428838.jpg
15525990582041439345250912840686.jpg

That is threaded, so it will not be in the fitting itself, just clogging up the gaps in the threads. Or get a slip bulkhead and glue it.

i ended up using that item number and bought it from the store, however when i got home read the back and it says not to use on pvc. does yours say it any where on the back about that?

CudaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be a tapered pipe thread fitting and not need anything to to seal. Unless its british parallel pipe thread, that is not likely. Orko doesn't understand how pipe threads work. Do not shorten the fittings. It relies on thread pitch and taper to seal. Hence why the teflon tape caused the break.

Yep too many wraps of Teflon tape. The main job of Teflon tape is lubrication to prevent galling of the threads only a couple wraps are needed otherwise it will increase the diameter of the male threads. NPT (National Pipe Thread) threads are a taper fit to mechanically seal the joint. Save yourself the trouble and replace it because it will leak sooner or later. Oh and also don’t over tighten the joint or it will bust again looks like this is what happened. There should be a couple threads or so showing when tightened properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i ordered a new bulkhead and think im going to cut the end off the off to get some new threads too. Not a big fan of the 90 degree bend and was thinking about maybe a 45 into the bulkhead for a smoother flow? Or am i over thinking here.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really helped me

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads
  • Don't wrap Teflon tape or Teflon paste or pipe dope to add bulk to or to lubricate the joint. Do use a sealant for threaded joints.
  • Because the threads are tapered, additional turns cause the female part to stretch or undergo "strain." This will split the female fitting just as a wedge, driven by a sledgehammer, will split a tree stump.
  • When Teflon tape is wrapped around plastic male threads it adds to the strain and tensile stress. The tendency of most installers is to incorrectly wrap several thickness of tape around the male threads, increasing stain and stress further.

Teflon paste and pipe dope, just like Teflon tape, make threaded joints slippery. Their use on PVC fittings can be an invitation to over-torque.

When working with threaded plastic fittings do use a proper sealant. The right sealant for threaded joints is non-hardening, compatible with plastic and doesn't add slipperiness

• The procedure to make leak free joints that will not cause split fittings is simple! Make-up the joint to finger-tight, not hand tight, then tighten 1 to 2 more turns. This method will provide a joint that is leak tight without causing excessive stress within the connection. It is important to realize that pipe thread sealant; especially those made with Teflon®, lubricate the threads and mislead the installer to believe the joint is not tight.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use silicone o-ring lubricant on plastic threads on bulkheads. It makes them easy to hand tighten and they don’t over tighten and they don’t leak.
Any cracked plastic fitting is a problem. You did good for yourself getting a new one. Don’t over tighten it and it will last many years. GL!

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some comments on bulkheads:
There are standard duty bulkheads: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/bulkheads/
and there are heavy duty bulkheads: http://www.buckeyehydro.com/bulkheads-heavy-duty/

In applications where a crack in the bulkhead or something similar would be a pain in the neck, use the heavy duty variety.
If you are going to use a lubricant/sealant on the threads, make sure it is intended for use on plastic, and with potable water. Teflon tape may be a safer bet.

Whenever you screw taped male threads into a poly female fitting you run the risk of the female cracking. One thing we do is to put a band clamp on the outside of the female part before screwing in the male. Also consider using a bulkhead with a slip female rather than a threaded female.

Remember the flange and gasket go on the wet side.

And yes - absolutely replace that cracked bulkhead.

Russ

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back