Crack on tank... ticking time bomb?

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this used tank (knew it had the crack), set it up and it’s been running for a week. No leaks so far. Husband siliconed the inside before setup. What’s your guys opinion on the structural soundness of this?

384D34C4-1D2E-47F2-B20E-220851609AEA.jpeg FBEBC5F6-C93A-44D9-8086-5245CF24FAEA.jpeg

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tank, crack near bottom, if I'm seeing that correctly...that makes me nervous. A chip out of a corner wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but an honest to goodness crack with full 8+lbs of pressure per gallon on it would be playing with fire in my mind.

At the very least, you might consider picking up a PetCo or PetSmart (or whoever does it) dollar per gallon tank large enough to hold everything, so you have it on hand and ready if a leak does develop.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's cracked all the way through I would get a new tank ASAP!!!! Holy macaroni is that's scary. Do not put any extra stress on it as it will explode and take all your fishy friends with it

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom corners support the weight of the tanks if its a rimmed tank... This doesnt look like a rimmed tank. But still thats a ticking time bomb.. how many gallons is this ??

Please take vetter pictures... turn the blue lights off and take normal pictures.

I wouldnt use a tank with a crack.. itll spread.. and most likely what will happen is this.

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pics. I don’t THINK it goes all the way though. Kinda hard to tell. No leaks, going to be extra vigilant the next couple days on it though just to make sure.

Edit: 40g tank

7FC8B416-2C0C-40CF-BC99-55637F7415A5.jpeg
D82F26B7-3BF1-4212-9DF7-213FFDB060FA.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Nobody thought the titanic would sink so they didn’t take precautions, aka adding enough life boats because they cluttered the deck, knew the rudder would not turn the ship correctly. Didn’t realize the water tight doors would just keep spilling over. They had no binoculars in the crow nest. They were traveling way too fast, and they knew all these risks. What does this have to do with your tank? Well it has the same fate as the titanic, it Will fail and sink, or flood your home and kill most of your live stock. What else is the do these two things have in common, people on the titanic knew the risks and said oh well. People here are saying this is a bad idea don’t risk it lol don’t be the same as the crew on the titanic.’

Reefermadness89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 40b planted tank that a buddy dinged his beer bottle on, looked kinda like
That.
Tank went boom like a week later, huge mess, everything died and my downstairs neighbors hated me for the rest of my time there.
40breeder 1$per gal sale, id invest

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom corners support the weight of the tanks if its a rimmed tank... This doesnt look like a rimmed tank. But still thats a ticking time bomb.. how many gallons is this ??

Please take vetter pictures... turn the blue lights off and take normal pictures.

I wouldnt use a tank with a crack.. itll spread.. and most likely what will happen is this.

You need a disclaimer on this video. Horror films do nothing to me, but this will give me nightmares! Silver lining, there was some water left for the fish to survive.

Better pics. I don’t THINK it goes all the way though. Kinda hard to tell. No leaks, going to be extra vigilant the next couple days on it though just to make sure.

Edit: 40g tank

7FC8B416-2C0C-40CF-BC99-55637F7415A5.jpeg
D82F26B7-3BF1-4212-9DF7-213FFDB060FA.jpeg

That doesn't look great. That one corner suffered a lot of trauma at some point. Typically one of the least expensive things in reef keeping is the tank itself. Where in your house is this tank? If it starts leaking would you suffer significant damages? I personally wouldn't risk it, but if it is in an area where water won't really damage anything then you could gamble. I believe I see carpeting on the floor. A new 40 gallon will not be very expensive, I would probably just replace it and not worry.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Nobody thought the titanic would sink so they didn’t take precautions, aka adding enough life boats because they cluttered the deck, knew the rudder would not turn the ship correctly. Didn’t realize the water tight doors would just keep spilling over. They had no binoculars in the crow nest. They were traveling way too fast, and they knew all these risks. What does this have to do with your tank? Well it has the same fate as the titanic, it Will fail and sink, or flood your home and kill most of your live stock. What else is the do these two things have in common, people on the titanic knew the risks and said oh well. People here are saying this is a bad idea don’t risk it lol don’t be the same as the crew on the titanic.’

Well in defense of the titanic they didnt think itd sink because it had automatic water tight doors. The problem was the water spilling over the doors.. if they were actually water tight rooms the doors would have worked and the titanic wouldnt have sunk.

As someone mentioned.. petco has a sale right now... 1$ a gallon a 40g tank would ve 40$.

It wont be rimless like this tank.. but itll be better... Although those aqueon tanks have quality control issues.. so check the seals first and check for bubbles where the glass was put together touching eachother

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in defense of the titanic they didnt think itd sink because it had automatic water tight doors. The problem was the water spilling over the doors.. if they were actually water tight rooms the doors would have worked and the titanic wouldnt have sunk.

hello,

Lol I wrote that in my post silly, all of it was
Major factor. Not to mention the ice berg didn’t make one huge hole but dozens of small holes that increased with water pressure. Most of the life boats were only filled less than half full.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of ways you can go here. If you want to get a camera and put it on the tank then we can all look forward to another tank disaster film like @Sailfinguy21 posted. I really enjoyed how the water sprayed up into the room! Some of the leaking water was flowing down the stand and back into the sump which made for a slow and dramatic emptying of the system. It was very nice to see the fish jump and panic when the tank first broke. The entire production was really a first-rate show.

Your tank @LanaDelNeighh has the same potential with that hairline crack to either slowly split open or remain watertight for years until it lets go. We may have to wait a while for the video which will drive up production costs.

Or you could get another 40 and swap out your disaster waiting to happen and resell the tank to someone else. If you want to resell you should do this sooner than later. The tank will lose a lot of value once that hairline crack expands.

-A former employee of Sun Valley Tempered Glass.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

Major factor. Not to mention the ice berg didn’t make one huge hole but dozens of small holes that increased with water pressure. Most of the life boats were only filled less than half full.

Sorry im a skimmer wheni read. Lol

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

Lots of ways you can go here. If you want to get a camera and put it on the tank then we can all look forward to another tank disaster film like @Sailfinguy21 posted. I really enjoyed how the water sprayed up into the room! Some of the leaking water was flowing down the stand and back into the sump which made for a slow and dramatic emptying of the system. It was very nice to see the fish jump and panic when the tank first broke. The entire production was really a first-rate show.

Your tank @LanaDelNeighh has the same potential with that hairline crack to either slowly split open or remain watertight for years until it lets go. We may have to wait a while for the video which will drive up production costs.

Or you could get another 40 and swap out your disaster waiting to happen and resell the tank to someone else. If you want to resell you should do this sooner than later. The tank will lose a lot of value once that hairline crack expands.

-A former employee of Sun Valley Tempered Glass.

Thats another thing i forgot to mention.. it isnt just the holding back of water but how the glass expands and contracts with water temperature.. How the glass reacts to outsude room temp on one side and water temp inside.

But most importantly when you do water changes.. taking water out will cause the glass to bow back inward.. then filling it back up will cause it to bow back out.

I have a 40 year old 135g tank.. Imagine all the stress that glass has taken from veing drained filled drained filled over 40 years... In fact one panel is permenantly bowed out now when empty lol.. its scary but yea.. imagine the glass having a crack

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s a matter of when, not if. I had a feeling. Pretty annoyed at myself for overlooking the crack and basically wasting money. Good thing I’m only a week into my tank cycle. Hopefully I can sell it for a decent amount and pick up something better. Thanks for the second opinion!

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned petco is having a sale now.. you could get a 75g tank for 75$.. or you can buy my 125g tank i have in storage for 100$ LOL. They are just rimmed.

How much did you spend on the tank ?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to target the reptile keeping market for selling this tank. They don't need it to hold water.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting silicone inside the glass where the crack is does little to nothing to prevent glass failure. The crack could spread and at a certain point weaken the glass enough that it can rupture catastrophically. Silicone is very strong in joining glass panes edge on - very high tension and shear strength when bonded correctly. There's no way to bond inside a failed crack adequately. Replace the glass pane soon as you are able.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back