Crack or scratch?!

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m setting up my first tank and I noticed this small scratch (or hairline crack?) in the inside top corner of my 55 gallon glass tank. It is less than an inch and you can only really feel it with your finger nail and it’s not that deep (maybe a mm). The scratch (or crack) would be right at or above the water lever (if that makes any difference). Do y’all think this is something to worry about? I noticed it after I drilled the holes otherwise I’d just return it. Any thoughts? (Pictures below). Thanks!!

1ECD8402-4DA7-4B10-8591-FF56DF7E5C2B.jpeg 9324F5BA-5303-4721-8598-FD81FC0B5F7C.jpeg

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check and see if its not just silicone. If it is a crack def don't use that tank.
I don’t think it’s silicon. I’m also not sure if it is a crack or not. It doesn’t go through to the other side and it’s not in a normal crack shape (lightning bolt or straight line) so I’m leaning toward thinking it is a scratch.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shine a flashlight on it. See if you can see depth from a crack or not. If new I would exchange it. If not new I would be 110% sure it's not a crack before proceeding.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s silicon. I’m also not sure if it is a crack or not. It doesn’t go through to the other side and it’s not in a normal crack shape (lightning bolt or straight line) so I’m leaning toward thinking it is a scratch.
I only say that cause some of my tanks scared me and turned out to be silicone. I saw after you could get a fingernail in it though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back