Cracked Bulkheads. Was it the sealant or too tight?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I remember them going together, I believe I just used my grip strength to twist them the final turns. No tools used.
I was kinda wondering if they are just poor quality bulkheads.

As far as I'm concerned ABS bulkheads are poor quality.....period. They are on thousands of tanks though so clearly they can work. I used Spears on a custom acrylic build and I'll never voluntarily use anything else in the future. Unfortunately they require a bigger hole in the glass(they are schedule 80 pvc after all) so you can't replace an ABS one with them without redrilling which could be tricky.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this similar problem with many other plumbing fixtures. Modern plumbing is made to finesse together and never over tighten.

As someone previously noted, threaded pipes are tapered. Generally if you turn them all the way flush into the end of a fitting the female side will often rupture, (even without adding the solvent).

For plastic threads, I use Teflon paste out of water, and silicone lubricant for wet (in tank) pipe installations to overcome the friction of plastic to plastic connections. Adding lubricant allows easier tightening; when the pieces stop moving do not proceed further or else the female is likely to split.

Does anyone else believe that "Plumbing" is a four letter word? I have sincerest admiration for the tradesperson who can install modern plumbing fittings and rarely or never report a leak.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like this kind of thread should be a "sticky" at the top of the DIY section and state "Do not use this sealant" since obviously it was the sealant.

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont u just get heavy duty bulk heads scheduale80 are thicker and wont crack as fast or at all toses are usally the gray ones

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over tight?

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting about the sealant. Though I have mostly switched to slip bulkheads, I do still use teflon tape for threaded connections ..... even though it is frowned upon.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting about the sealant. Though I have mostly switched to slip bulkheads, I do still use teflon tape for threaded connections ..... even though it is frowned upon.

I'm with you on that one I have quit using thredded fittings as much as possible and moved on to slip. In my experience if you use the primer and the sealer properly the slip kind does not leak the chances with a threaded fitting are higher

Last edited:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont u just get heavy duty bulk heads scheduale80 are thicker and wont crack as fast or at all toses are usally the gray ones

Schedule 80 fittings are completely unnecessary and likely won't fit in the holes he has drilled anyway. For aquarium use, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ABS and Schedule 40 PVC. If you need the 'beef' of schedule 80 you're doing something wrong. The only exception to this would be valves - the schedule 80 ones use better quality components, so that's one place where it might be worth while.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back