Cracked my new Red Sea 350 while transporting it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually that was not the case with my Reefer 250 which was shipped in 3 thick cardboard boxes with tons of styrofoam inside and loaded on wooden pallets. The box for the sump was placed inside the glass tank. As you can see the exterior of both boxes for the glass tank and the cabinet were damaged in transit and they had to replace my cabinet after opening that box and inspecting it because the forklift went right through the side of the cardboard while attempting to lift the wooden pallet

IMG_9682.JPG

IMG_9593.jpeg

IMG_9681.jpeg
Right - thats why (I think) I said my reefer 750 xxl - the key point is/was - once your tank is delivered -if you find damage the delivery company will 'usually' deny any compensation for 'damage'.

PS - we have exactly the tile you have on the floor - I thought I was looking at our basement

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unexpected call from Red Sea shipping has gone up from $250 to $315. Pretty upsetting but I’m at a point now that I have no choice. They are still giving me a decent discount on the tank but that shipping cost seems high especially since they had given me a lower quote when I gave them my credit card information last week.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: agent was able to talk to supervisor and they absorbed the additional shipping cost. So I got the original shipping cost of $250. Overall happy with their customer service even though it was a little complicated they were able to work things out for me.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unexpected call from Red Sea shipping has gone up from $250 to $315. Pretty upsetting but I’m at a point now that I have no choice. They are still giving me a decent discount on the tank but that shipping cost seems high especially since they had given me a lower quote when I gave them my credit card information last week.

Make sure that you unpack and inspect the tank before signing for the delivery. Many truckers will try to rush you and say they have many more deliveries to make so don't be intimidated if they do!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah for sure. Do you literally unpack the tank?
I would open it up enough to see all the corners and sides. I would have on hand a bright flashlight.
I would also inspect the shipping box looking for any damage to it and pay special attention to the tank at those spots.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: agent was able to talk to supervisor and they absorbed the additional shipping cost. So I got the original shipping cost of $250. Overall happy with their customer service even though it was a little complicated they were able to work things out for me.

That is customer service! Good to hear it worked out for you.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open it up enough to see all the corners and sides. I would have on hand a bright flashlight.
I would also inspect the shipping box looking for any damage to it and pay special attention to the tank at those spots.

My LFS did the installation and they unpacked the box and inspected it at the store and then repacked it before bringing it to my condo.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back