Crazy fresh water dip...

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted I share what happened today with you guys...

I impulse bought a canary blenny today even though I know they ate venomous and can pack a nasty bite. When I was trying to remove him from the bag after acclimation (I poor tank water into the bag I buy the fish in), I decided I was going to dump him into my net by dumping the water down the kitchen drain. I did not want to touch him as I have heard about people being bit when removing the fish from the bag. In the process of dumping the water the bag slipped and down the drain he went, right through the hole in my drain guard. I was like "oh snap!". After sitting there for about 30 seconds in disbelief I ran to the shed and grabbed my plumbing tool box and removed the drain trap. The water in the trap was full of suds from me just washing my hands earlier after handling some corals. I shook the trap a little and the blenny jumped out onto the cabinet floor. I put him in a tuperware container with tank water for about an hour then added him to the display. So he got about a four minute soapy freshwater dip before going in.

As an observation of the fish, i was worried he would bite one of my tank inhabitants upon entry but he is very timid. He has been harassed by my flame wrasse, coral beauty angel, a couple tangs and my basslet all of which he would rather retreat then bite the aggressor. I also stuck my hand in the tank to see if he would go away or stand his ground and bite me, he quickly retreated. So as far as I can tell, the risk of him biting an inhabitant or a reefer seem minimal. However, he did not eat much in this feeding but it is understandable. Next addition will be an Achilles tang, which will get treated a little different upon arrival...

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty nuts, sheesh! FWIW, I have had my hands in tanks with all kinds of venomous fish, the only fish that has ever bitten me were clownfish :squigglemouth:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back