Crazy How Fast You Go From Not Quarantining to Wanting to Quarantine Anything You Put In Your Tank In The Future

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, relatively new saltwater keeper here. I’ve always known that quarantining is the way to go BUT I never did it despite hearing of all the horror stories of tanks getting wiped. I thought I would last at least a couple of years before getting an issue but nope. 2 months in, half of the tank wiped due to velvet and possibly brook. Ich was also present in the tank but did not show up for the end game. I’ve spent so much time now trying to treat the survivors. Researching, seeking for meds, destroying my scape to catch fish (now imagine if I had corals), dipping the fish, digging through my house to set up the emergency QT, ammonia spikes, losing my salifert copper color sheet etc etc. Now I have to leave my display empty for 2 months with nothing but a cleaner shrimp in it. I’ve learned my lesson, 2 months in. Those who never had a problem, you are lucky so far. Just wanted to share my newbie experience, 2 months in.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, relatively new saltwater keeper here. I’ve always known that quarantining is the way to go BUT I never did it despite hearing of all the horror stories of tanks getting wiped. I thought I would last at least a couple of years before getting an issue but nope. 2 months in, half of the tank wiped due to velvet and possibly brook. Ich was also present in the tank but did not show up for the end game. I’ve spent so much time now trying to treat the survivors. Researching, seeking for meds, destroying my scape to catch fish (now imagine if I had corals), dipping the fish, digging through my house to set up the emergency QT, ammonia spikes, losing my salifert copper color sheet etc etc. Now I have to leave my display empty for 2 months with nothing but a cleaner shrimp in it. I’ve learned my lesson, 2 months in. Those who never had a problem, you are lucky so far. Just wanted to share my newbie experience, 2 months in.

I am in the exact same situation. Aquariums for 40 years (not counting college) and hardly ever lost fish. Setup a new reef tank and yeah, 6 months in and wham. QT running for the survivors, and everything you said (except losing a card, I just have Hanna checkers).

This will never happen again if I can help it. I’ll be buying only quarantined fish or doing it myself. Maybe even if they’re pre-quarantined.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learnt from getting flats in my old tank its much easier to treat in a qt tank lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back