Crazy plumbing question

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, bare with me, as this may be a bit confusing to type, probably even more so for those of you reading...lol.

I'm setting up a 200 gallon Marineland Deep dimension, dual corner overflow, with Starphire front glass.

In talking with the owner of the LFS where I purchased this tank, and then another hobbyist who recently set up this same tank, we came up with an idea, that seems crazy, at first...but more feasible, the more I think about it.

The overflows come with Marineland Dursos and returns, 1 Durso and 1 return for each overflow. The overflows also have a removable "plate," at the front, that has a "grill" cut into the bottom of it, and a grill cut into the top. The top grill works as the overflow preskimmer. The bottom grill has no purpose that I can see, as the are no holes behind it......yet!!! Oh boy, I can see this is going to require pictures.

Here's a picture of the overflow, front plate installed.
3721781538_13b370b44c_b.jpg

Front plate removed and plumbing setting in place.
3720968819_435220939f_b.jpg

Front plate.
3720969387_17ee1cac35_b.jpg

So, here's our thoughts, yes, Barbie's included in this possibly insane idea!!!

One of the overflows will serve as a typical overflow, as designed, draining to a sump/refugium and then returning.

The other overflow will be modified and used as a closed loop feed. Here's the plan:

Remove the plate and drill 2X 1"-1 1/4" holes in the overflow, in about the area of the lower "grills." The removable plate will be reinstalled over these holes. These new holes will then be plumbed to the bulkheads, using spa flex. PVC would be used from the bottom of the bulkheads onward... This will give me 2X1" lines, draining out the bottom of that overflow. These 2X1" lines would be combined, using a Y, into a single 1 1/2" line, which would feed a large pump, like a Dolphin 3000/4000. The output of the pump would be 1 1/2" or 2". The output would be split into either 2 or 4 return lines, which would return over the back. My first thought, is 4 return lines, 2 feeding 3/4" Seaswirls and 2 feeding 3/4" locline with penductors. Each return line would be plumbed with a ball valve, to fine tune flow. Ball valves would also be plumbed before and after the pump. I wouldn't even need the spa-flex, if I just stubbed 1" PVC a couple of inches out of each bulkhead and screened the ends off. This would enable all of the water in that overflow to be turned over quickly. It would also enable me to cut more, or larger holes, behind that cover plate.

This would give me one overflow that's plumbed to the sump/fuge and the second overflow being modified for the closed loop.

My original concern was that the 2X1" lines would limit me to only about 1200 GPH of flow. Then it was brought to my attention that the 600GPH per hole, represents gravity flow, NOT flow forced by the large pump.

Soooo, does any of this make any sense at all??

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centrifugal pumps do not "suck" so you would still have the limited flow of two 1" lines. Plumbing from that through the pump into a 1.5" or 2" return would probably cause cavitation from starving the pump suction side, water tries to accelerate out the discharge side where it does push due to centrifugal force but cannot draw enough on the intake to feed the impeller causing air entrainment, a probably partial vacuum situation around the eye of the impeller and cavitation.
Wow, thats a long sentence but I hope you get the idea.
It could get ugly.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like a lot of work when you could just drill holes in the back of the tank dedicated to the closed loop. also i think you are defeating the purpose of the dual overflow. Makes sense but not sure of the benefits.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I purchased this tank from an LFS, and didn't special order it. Had I ordered it, I'd have designed a CL and had it predrilled to accomplish this. Also, unfortunately, I'm unwilling to drill the back, on the off chance that I destroy a VERY expensive tank...lol. Not even glass shops will drill and guarantee not to break the tank. Shipping it back to Marineland would be an option, but a very expensive one.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really easy to drill a tank. I drilled my 210 with 6 holes. just need a bit and a drill and some time.

I am sure there is someone around you that has done it or could help.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say your already gona have tubes going over the back for return lines. So just add another one or two that go down to the bottom of that chamber plum them into the in side of the pump. Put a bleed valve in the top of each tube to let the air out the first time its fired up and you'll have a closed loop. you may have to add some more slots in the cover and or another hole behind the cover to flow enough water but it'll work like your wanting it to.

JR,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back