Created a nightmare using F-Aiptasia to remove palys

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Months ago i was advised and read allele that i could possible get rid of some palys by covering them with F-Aiptasia. Think its called Franks F-Aiptasia. Well 2 days ago i decided it was time to try. I shut off all pumps, mixed it up good and started covering. It didn't cover as easy as i thought it would but i covered them all. Spot was a bit smaller than a index card. The directions said let sit for 30 minutes to harden then turn pumps back on. i waited 2 hours........ After 2 hrs i turned everything on and it stirred it up like crazy. Was like sand going everywhere in tank. Well i can tell you it isn't reef safe like it says. After 30 minutes i knew i had a problem. Half the LPS corals in tank looked bad, retracted and sliming. My guess is they caught some of the particles in the water and its burned them or whatever. Right now i know a few acans are gone. 3 others still really stressed. My torch and frogspawn are retracted and stressed. All my SPS seem fine strangely. Im stuck now on what to do? I have changed 25 gallons of water so far (150 gal system). Goin to do more today, put carbon in too. Even thinking of using my aaa putty to cover them up so it smoothers out plays and traps this f-aptasia stuff from blowing around. I tried to syphon some but it stirs it up again. This system is years old and was flourishing, kinda devastated right now over it. Praying the other corals are just stressed now but come back.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel terrible for you. My only thought— way too late now— is that you tried to cover too many at once, essentially adding too much product/chemical to your water all at once. Keep us posted as to how this ends for you. 150-gallons is quite a bit of water to have to deal with. Again, so sorry. :(

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry to hear that mate. F aip is meant to be used in small blotches. Did you test your params? I thought f aip is pretty much kalk paste, so if yiu used that much I'd be concerned about your params.

Maybe do a wc if the params are off

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't tested anything yet. Haven't really had time. Just keep doing water changes. i didn't think anything about it though, stuff said reef safe..... :( . Do you think i should siphon it out now as I'm doing water changes???

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah syphon the loose pieces out. Its good that you are already doing wc - letting the loose pieces float around d will just make it disolve paster and muck up your params more..

Just keep up the wc

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok that's my plan. continue siphoning it out. i think when i get most of it siphoned off i will use putty and cover up them play remains. sucks i had to learn the hard way. been doing this nearly 12 years and still stuff happens. :(

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok that's my plan. continue siphoning it out. i think when i get most of it siphoned off i will use putty and cover up them play remains. sucks i had to learn the hard way. been doing this nearly 12 years and still stuff happens. :(
Hey sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets better soon.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the palys released toxins which might have affected the rest of the live stock ? Too much F-aiptasia can bump Alk levels but I dont think it causes issues even if it blows around.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the palys released toxins which might have affected the rest of the live stock ? Too much F-aiptasia can bump Alk levels but I dont think it causes issues even if it blows around.
I was thinking along those lines too. Did you notice the palys sliming up? I would run some extra carbon too.

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didn't really notice. i wondered the same though. All fish and inverts are fine. Just some of my LPS corals with issues. Today is day 3. Changed 5 gallons of water right after. Did 20 more yesterday and will do another 15-20 today. I did put carbon in, i don't normally run carbon but threw in yesterday morning.
So are the coral issues possibly from palytoxin or the rise in alkalinity??? And not from the f-aiptasia touching coral?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The f aiptasia didn't cause the problem. Used it a lot in the past and its just alk paste. The solid chunks are just calcium carbonate and don't burn corals.

I'm guessing the palys you went after were the wild variety that release toxins when they feel attacked. If I had a pic I could tell you. They are dull, olive brown green in color and about the size of a nickel.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know how all the canines in your neighborhood are still alive

what you did has been claimed to unlease a nuclear cloud by some folks/by online articles recently etc

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will try to get a pic of them on here. They are more green than brown with a green mouth. Most about or slightly larger than a pencil eraser.

took 2 pictures of the ones on back wall. First pic is normal with lights on so look blue, 2nd is with orange lenses and picture made them more brown, not really showing green color.

CAE2CA32-D6DC-41B9-B1E5-3063EC21F221.jpeg
FF32AB2E-63B5-4F9E-AB55-248988E0CA46.jpeg

OP
OP
S

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The f aiptasia didn't cause the problem. Used it a lot in the past and its just alk paste. The solid chunks are just calcium carbonate and don't burn corals.

I'm guessing the palys you went after were the wild variety that release toxins when they feel attacked. If I had a pic I could tell you. They are dull, olive brown green in color and about the size of a nickel.
Just posted pics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

having trouble locating less than six hundred examples he he

Attachments

• 3F94C15E-7517-41AC-888D-0BF4AF756988.png
    3F94C15E-7517-41AC-888D-0BF4AF756988.png
    800.9 KB · Views: 52

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those look like the wild paly's he was talking about. I also would point to Paly toxin and not the F-Aptasia as the main contributor. I'd be more worried about your well being than the tank at this point. Not sure what to do here......

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back