Creating focal points with coral placement can save you $$

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video. The hardest part for most is to visualize what their system will look like grown in. It does not need all the big name acros to look good.
My 120 build, I just took it down, was done will all local corals and turned out well.
20211127_153023.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great question, didn't think about that! I think that for peninsula tanks it really depends on the aquascape. If you had say a tall rock structure that almost separates the tank so it looks like two completely different views on each side of the tank, then having its own set of focal points makes sense. However, that's usually not the case. If the scape is made in a way that when viewing the tank from each side you just see a different perspective of the scape, I would say to still apply the same rule :slightly-smiling-face:
That makes sense. What I'm imagining is that if there's depth given to the tank, there may be 1 (or perhaps 2) focal points on all 3 sides, but there may be an additional focal point on each side depending on what's visible on each side. In any case, I'm fascinated by this design concept. It's also a really easy one to put into effect (depending on one's ability to plan and even show restraint when buying). In my office tank, I'm planning a CSB, an acantho, and a fungia garden as the focal points. Thanks for the tip!!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. What I'm imagining is that if there's depth given to the tank, there may be 1 (or perhaps 2) focal points on all 3 sides, but there may be an additional focal point on each side depending on what's visible on each side. In any case, I'm fascinated by this design concept. It's also a really easy one to put into effect (depending on one's ability to plan and even show restraint when buying). In my office tank, I'm planning a CSB, an acantho, and a fungia garden as the focal points. Thanks for the tip!!
Will that depth given to the tank include lighting? As in contrast and shadows? That thing people seam to forget about reciently?

#ShadowsForReefTanks
#BlanketsAreBad

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably...but I don't think I'm very good at planning strategic shadows. Haha! I'm not much of an artist.
You already have the scape. All you need is a quality single point light... I'll refrain from naming names. Beautiful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back