CREATING HOMEOSTASIS DURING THE CYCLE OF YOUR REEF TANK

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers !
I am writing this thread in order to help out the brand new reefers within the community . I have combined my knowledge and experience into a step by step guide in setting up your brand new reef tank .
The goal we all have while setting up and keeping a tank is pretty straight forward ..... Stable Parameters !!
Out of all my Reef tanks i have put a very good system into place to make sure your cycle and startup is successful.
Here are the steps i take to cycle my reef and keep it stable
STEP 1 :
Add water and live sand aswell as your aquascape . I used Dry Marco rock to create my aquascape.
Turn on all pumps and wavemakers and all the things you will be using in your reef tank , Carbon, Skimmer , GFO , UV reactor , etc etc and leave it on for about 48 hours or until the sand settles .
STEP 2 :
Once everything is set up , Add Dr Tims one and only !
Make sure you turn off your skimmer , UV sterilizer and Roller Mat before adding Dr tims .
Once Dr Tims is added , keep your skimmer , UV sterilizer and Roller mat OFF for 7 days
Once you add the bacteria i like to throw in a cube of Mysis Shrimp so the bacteria has a food source . You can pretty much add a large frozen shrimp if you do not have mysis .
A week later , do a 10-15% water change and you will want to continue doing these weekly water changes no matter what !
STEP 3:
After 2.5-3 months after Step 2 ,Test your parameters and if all is well introduce your first fish as well as another bacteria booster , whether thats Dr Tims or Brightwells Microbacter. for the second bacteria dose i choose to go with microbacter as ive noticed it helps the corraline algae grow a little faster than Dr Tims ( again , just my experience) During Step 3 it is important to go ahead and introduce corraline algae to your tank . For that i recommend going to your LFS and picking out a few hermits with a nice layer of corraline algae around the shell . This will help out A LOT!
Step 3 also is the step in which you introduce your fish , It can be a pair of clown fish or a utilitarian fish such as a Yellow Tang . During this time please keep the lights completely off , ambient lighting will be enough to make sure your corraline algae thrives as it does well in low light conditions .
STEP 4:
4 weeks after Step 3 , add some more corraline algae from a clean and reputable source . Along with that feel free to add another utilitarian fish . Step 4 is finally the step in which you can flip your lights on and enjoy the show . If your lights have an acclimation mode start out with 5% lighting and let that gradually increase to the par ratings that you desire .
STEP 5:
If you start seeing corraline algae grow after step 4 , you are ready for corals ! Just please be sure to go ahead and test your parameters .
I myself added a few frags of euphyllia and they were striving .
Once all these steps are completed you should have somewhat stable parameters .
Parameters may vary since everyone has their preference of salt . I myself use Tropic Marin Pro reef , it is hands down one of the best salts and the results are impressive . I keep my salinity at 35 PPT and my temp at 78 Degrees .

10 months in , these are my parameters :
Salinity - 35ppt
Temp -78 Degrees
Calcium - 510ppm
Alkalinity- 10dKH
Magnesium-1300ppm
Phosphates - .02
Nitrate- 2/3ppm
Nitrite - 0pp,
Ammonia - 0 ppm

PH-8.2

OP
OP
MichaelFita

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what you think is happening for 3 months in sI be

I'm curious what you think is happening for 3 months in step 2.
I Believe the nitrogen cycle is happening within the first month , month and a half based on weekly parameter checking . After the nitrogen cycle is complete i like to give the tank 2-3 weeks to get a chance to let the bacteria grow and expand . I like to give the tank a month/month and a half after the nitrogen cycle because from my understanding it will help stabilize your tank and you are safer introducing more than one fish because the tank will be able to cope with the toxic waste the fish produces .
I have also found that in Step 3 is where the corraline algae likes to start growing and expanding . The more corraline algae the less chance of nuisance algae outbreaks and it will benefit your corals in the long run from my perspective , and I had a lot of more corraline grow due to taking my time in step 2 with my 40gallon and my 220 gallon , as well as a couple of my friends reef tanks
Id like to know your input on this as well . By any means I am no reef chemist like you !
Is 2.5-3 months longer then necessary ? Maybe , but this is what I do with my tanks and i have had great results with doing it this way even though it may be the slow way.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Believe the nitrogen cycle is happening within the first month , month and a half based on weekly parameter checking . After the nitrogen cycle is complete i like to give the tank 2-3 weeks to get a chance to let the bacteria grow and expand . I like to give the tank a month/month and a half after the nitrogen cycle because from my understanding it will help stabilize your tank and you are safer introducing more than one fish because the tank will be able to cope with the toxic waste the fish produces .
I have also found that in Step 3 is where the corraline algae likes to start growing and expanding . The more corraline algae the less chance of nuisance algae outbreaks and it will benefit your corals in the long run from my perspective , and I had a lot of more corraline grow due to taking my time in step 2 with my 40gallon and my 220 gallon , as well as a couple of my friends reef tanks
Id like to know your input on this as well . By any means I am no reef chemist like you !
Is 2.5-3 months longer then necessary ? Maybe , but this is what I do with my tanks and i have had great results with doing it this way even though it may be the slow way.

OK, thanks.

I'm not sure anything is happening once the ammonia has disappeared, but, IMO, it is unlikely to do any harm waiting. :)

OP
OP
MichaelFita

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing and giving advice already....... Uh.
Welcome to r2r
Actually i have been reefing for a few years , these are just the steps i take and they work for me and the people that reached out to me .
Just because i was new to reefing does not mean my advice is not valid

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build threads are a great thing. If you start one, people can judge the validity of your recommendations based on the status of your tank(s). You'll get a cool R2R Badge also.

OP
OP
MichaelFita

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet !
I will start a thread once i start a new reef build next year !
Thank you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back