Creepy Sump Critter

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down the 90 gallon yesterday. This morning was sump time. I pumped out most of the water - (RIP Pods, thank you for your service.) After I dragged it outside to hose it out and do a deep clean, I got a surprise. This worm-ish thing came floating out. Ick Eww. I have no idea exactly what it is or how long it's been there. It's gone now. All I can say is wow. It was not a bristle worm, so who knows? It is on a standard envelope for size perspective.... ignore the doodle. LOL
1627226008635.png

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polychaete in family Capitellidae. Should have left it alive, it was part of your clean up crew. I really do not like the term "bristle worm" as it common term for many types of polychaetes. Only ones that should be removed are the "fireworms" as they can cause painful burning sensation when the "bristles" = setae break off in your skin. Too many people freak out on things that are natural parts of a living reef.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like ugly water centipedes in my reef, beneficial or not.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's a peanut worm.

Phylum Sipuncula (Peanut Worms); Edible Marine Worms​

Sipuncula worm in hand

The Phylum Sipuncula​

Sipuncula; Etymology: From the genus sipunculus, as a variation from the Latin Siphunculus – meaning = small tube.

I think @WVNed nailed it. (And I'm with @Cell ... Just nope. I was not transferring that to my new DT.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a peanut worm @CMMorgan. Why are you breaking down your 90g?
I upgraded to the new tank a bit ago. I was keeping it running for another reefer but their house isn't going to be ready until October. We decided to break it down and sell it to raise money for another reefer who recently had a stroke. Whatever we get from it goes to them.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like ugly water centipedes in my reef, beneficial or not.
I think @WVNed nailed it. (And I'm with @Cell ... Just nope. I was not transferring that to my new DT.
Different strokes for different folks. Ya'll would really freak out on my large "bobbit worm" in my tank, lol! I did not even know I had one until I dismantled my 75 gallon tank (now part of my sump). Yep, transferred him to the new 430 gallon tank. But, maybe being a "mud biologist" by training may skew my thinking!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for unusual... But I prefer snails, crabs, conchs... If it resembles a snake... Just a hard no. No snakes, no eels. No worms.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always amazed at how some of these creatures can reach full size (like 4') and go undetected for years until the tank is torn down or other livestock begin to disappear. Even more incredible they seem to thrive even though they can easily wrap themselves around the inside of the tank multiple times!!!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for unusual... But I prefer snails, crabs, conchs... If it resembles a snake... Just a hard no. No snakes, no eels. No worms.
Interesting
Have you ever actually seen a snake?
1627226008635-png.2272452

IMG_2361%20-%20Copy-S.jpg
IMG_3359_HEIC-S.jpg

You worm looks more like the intestines of some poor animal to me.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I broke down the 90 gallon yesterday. This morning was sump time. I pumped out most of the water - (RIP Pods, thank you for your service.) After I dragged it outside to hose it out and do a deep clean, I got a surprise. This worm-ish thing came floating out. Ick Eww. I have no idea exactly what it is or how long it's been there. It's gone now. All I can say is wow. It was not a bristle worm, so who knows? It is on a standard envelope for size perspective.... ignore the doodle. LOL
1627226008635.png
Peanut worm

Back