Cremated Remains to Reefs: Burial option for a Reef Aquarist

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aspiring Funeral Director and an active shadowee at a Funeral Home I have a passion for the funeral industry, and furthermore educating and making aware the thousands of options we have for our own burials.

A good bit of you have probably heard about ‘Eternal Reefs’ an organization that incorporates cremated remains into concrete and creates ‘reef balls’ these structures are then sunk in the ocean and left to give coral and fish a place to live.

These structures are designed to replicate natural reef substrata, a specialized concrete formula brings the concrete pH to a close neutral, the material is friendly to the marine environment, it’s textured to aid in the hosting of marine organisms and the reef balls are designed to withstand tidal flows, major storms and the dynamic energy impacts that accompany them.

Whenever one of these reef balls is created the family is welcome to participate in the mixing and pouring of the ashes. You can also write letters, press handprints and set objects into the concrete for your loved one. The GPS coordinates are also given to the family, so they’re able to visit the reef.

There have been more than 5,000 projects in more than 70 countries with more than 750,000 reef balls placed on the ocean floor. And with years of documented history of stability and habitat development, reef balls have become the international gold standard for fisheries programs, coral restoration, and habitat development projects. Here is the site if you’re interested in learning more about them and what they do:

Here are some photographs of the reef balls and the thriving reefs they’ve became home to!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I still lived in Florida, this I the way I would go. Would be nice if my buddies could catch a couple of fish off me in the afterlife.

I was born in Brooksville, FL and my plan is to have my ashes scattered at my favorite trout stream...in Brooksville, VT.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aspiring Funeral Director and an active shadowee at a Funeral Home I have a passion for the funeral industry, and furthermore educating and making aware the thousands of options we have for our own burials.

A good bit of you have probably heard about ‘Eternal Reefs’ an organization that incorporates cremated remains into concrete and creates ‘reef balls’ these structures are then sunk in the ocean and left to give coral and fish a place to live.

These structures are designed to replicate natural reef substrata, a specialized concrete formula brings the concrete pH to a close neutral, the material is friendly to the marine environment, it’s textured to aid in the hosting of marine organisms and the reef balls are designed to withstand tidal flows, major storms and the dynamic energy impacts that accompany them.

Whenever one of these reef balls is created the family is welcome to participate in the mixing and pouring of the ashes. You can also write letters, press handprints and set objects into the concrete for your loved one. The GPS coordinates are also given to the family, so they’re able to visit the reef.

There have been more than 5,000 projects in more than 70 countries with more than 750,000 reef balls placed on the ocean floor. And with years of documented history of stability and habitat development, reef balls have become the international gold standard for fisheries programs, coral restoration, and habitat development projects. Here is the site if you’re interested in learning more about them and what they do:

Here are some photographs of the reef balls and the thriving reefs they’ve became home to!
Heard about this back in the early 90s and glad options still around, though I've no idea what I'll do for myself beyond organ donor and probably cremation

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bury me in my backyard. Mix me in the next batch of concrete at work. Lol.
Shoot me in space. Lol.
What about volcano burial? Like throw my body in a volcano pit? Everyone partys and dances around the mouth of the volcano...
This thread makes me feel old.
D

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay seriously, this is beautiful.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very interesting. I never knew what Reef Balls were made of before. I don't know what to think about them now that I do know?

I do wonder if I became a reef ball if I could actually grow something beside hair algae?
Not all reef balls contain cremains though. If they contain cremains they’ll have a little lip at the top that goes up and out a bit. :D

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay seriously, this is beautiful.
Isn’t it!? And it works for so many people! fishermen, sailors, reefers, beach lovers. It’s something many can utilize and it’s putting back into the environment. Yet another method of green burial out there!

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t it!? And it works for so many people! fishermen, sailors, reefers, beach lovers. It’s something many can utilize and it’s putting back into the environment. Yet another method of green burial out there!
I absolutely love green burial! I’m not exactly sure how much of me will be left considering I’m an organ donor, but whatever is left I would love to go to some use!

Thank you for posting this because I was set to become a tree!!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m immortal
60fa7bda4f80aefc8b0e514bd46b8818.jpg

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything and everything having to do with the funeral industry tends to be priced for lucrative profits. No doubt if you are interested in contributing money to building natural reefs there are better ways to do it, like hiring mercenaries to sink pirate boats for instance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything and everything having to do with the funeral industry tends to be priced for lucrative profits. No doubt if you are interested in contributing money to building natural reefs there are better ways to do it, like hiring mercenaries to sink pirate boats for instance.
Pirates pollute, and so do sunken boats. Still, my dream is to start out on a Pacific reef and swim with the currents and just keep going and let nature handle the recycling.

PeterReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just down in the Florida Keys, and I’ve been telling my wife for a while that I want to be mixed into a reef block and dropped out in John Pennecamp state park in Key Largo

Attachments

• 383B7FA9-6BD6-4151-A83E-96967224581F.jpeg
    383B7FA9-6BD6-4151-A83E-96967224581F.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FD46906C-708B-4B85-8C41-07BAA7433012.jpeg
    FD46906C-708B-4B85-8C41-07BAA7433012.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 16
  • E8857679-E89F-438E-B8B5-F585CF6F91BC.jpeg
    E8857679-E89F-438E-B8B5-F585CF6F91BC.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 17
  • C175F09F-E5ED-4EEF-9A26-C217E1EE76A0.jpeg
    C175F09F-E5ED-4EEF-9A26-C217E1EE76A0.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices for this start at $2,500 for everything except the cremation. A direct cremation can cost about $2,000 which compared to a funeral which averages at about $7,000 is a pretty nice deal.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back