Crimson seaweed: What is your experience with red macroalgae?

What is your experience with red macroalgae?

• Red macroalgae has thrived in my tank

Votes: 92 25.8%
  • Red macroalgae has struggled in my tank

Votes: 66 18.5%
  • I have never kept red macroalgae

Votes: 188 52.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Red macroalgae is gorgeous and (at least in my case) seemingly elusive! Of all the types of macroalgae, I have found red macroalgae to be more challenging. Today let’s talk about your experience with red macroalgae – have you tried to grow it in your tank? Have you been successful? If so, please share your tips and we’d love to see your pictures!

Tigahboy_RedMacroalgae.jpeg

Photo by @Tigahboy

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None really, but I just got some live-rock that is covered in 2-3 types of red macro algae, and red coralline! I am thinking one of them is Gracilaria. Hoping it all lives long term, and starts growing like the photo above.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted "thrived", however, that was only in my high nutrient tank with a plant light on it haha. In my lower nutrient system (current system) it all died.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have struggled but only because it was competing with grape caulerpa and then I added Mexican turbo snails that were starving in my reef tank. The snails loved the dragons breath, red gracilaria, and red grape macroalgaes in there far more than the caulerpa which ended my red macroalgae collection sadly.

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red macroalgae is gorgeous and (at least in my case) seemingly elusive! Of all the types of macroalgae, I have found red macroalgae to be more challenging. Today let’s talk about your experience with red macroalgae – have you tried to grow it in your tank? Have you been successful? If so, please share your tips and we’d love to see your pictures!

Photo by @Tigahboy
My tangs eat it.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So red light grows green algae well but presumably does nothing for red algae. Is green light the secret to growing red macros?

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 3 types of gracilaria including Dragon's tongue 2 weeks ago. They are currently in a 10g holding tank with a grow light, as I am still plumbing their 40g breeder, and plumbing that into my 90g sump. So far so good, but I am replacing 2 cups of nutrient water from main tank daily, and I added dove snails which are supposed to eat bacteria & detritus off of their leaves. I also added 3 banggai's (they are very small) in there with them. They still look great after 2 weeks, but too soon to know for sure.

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So red light grows green algae well but presumably does nothing for red algae. Is green light the secret to growing red macros?
This guy has a lot of videos on growing macro algae. I've been watching a lot of videos lately, and this guy seems to know his stuff. He says red macro needs more blue and less light than others. (darker part of tank)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiny sliver of red macro that was in my refugium with Chaeto in the Wifes fish tank. The Chaeto grew enormous, when I harvested it I found the sliver of red was still alive and maybe grew abit? Tank is high nutrients. I added another ball of red algae and presume it will survive while the Chaeto soaks up all the nutrients. I may change the spectrum to see if the blue light grows the red faster?

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @Tigahboy
i have sum in my tank right now!! its amazing.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love red macroalgae. I grow them in a full spectrum plant light and have had no issues. Enormous growth on all of them in fact.

Right now I have dragons tounge, gracilaria mammalaris, red pearl algae, red grape algae, and acid rain.

I know these aren't the real names, hobby names, but Im not sure what the scientific names are.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have struggled but only because it was competing with grape caulerpa and then I added Mexican turbo snails that were starving in my reef tank. The snails loved the dragons breath, red gracilaria, and red grape macroalgaes in there far more than the caulerpa which ended my red macroalgae collection sadly.
I am transferring my two nanos into a 40g Long tank over the next couple of week. Working out a plan to run two acrylic rods across the tank above the water line and set up some "hanging baskets" for red macros to keep the urchin and turbos away!

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @Tigahboy
Dragon’s breath has alway ‘grown well’ in my tank, but is a favorite of my cleanup crew and herbivores.

Vsnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things ate it, LOL. I had a Valentini puffer that enjoyed it, didn't know they did. And some snails and crabs chipped in.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back