Crinoid Feather Star eating frozen ova

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gentleman, a crinoid eating frozen ova.
DSC_05092_zps1453fb38.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome awesome awesome, Bongo!!

I have noticed what I thought crinoid arms feeding on cylopeeze in the same manner.

Do you have a thread here on R2R documenting your tank with crinoids?

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have anything on here documenting my success with them however i kinda do on my local forum in my tank thread.

I had this one for 3.5 years:
DSC_0002444_zpse93d6021.jpg

And this one for about 2 years I think:
_DSC0742-1_zpse99cf485.jpg

Then I lost them all when my nitrates spiked.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i actually remember these crinoids, i have read your thread numerous times on some forum or another. It was very helpful in teaching me how to feed and keep difficult inverts.

Those above you have pictured are gorgeous, i've never seen those types before other than in your threads.

I hope to see more about crinoids from you!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i actually remember these crinoids, i have read your thread numerous times on some forum or another. It was very helpful in teaching me how to feed and keep difficult inverts.

Those above you have pictured are gorgeous, i've never seen those types before other than in your threads.

I hope to see more about crinoids from you!

Wow thank you. It's an honor to have been such a help to you. The older crinoids were found at my LFS (which has closed) and they came in twice and then I never saw them again. I got the original orange one in the first pic above the first time they came in and the second time they came in I got another orange on and the yellow one. A friend of mine, username slapshot on here and many other forums, also got an orange one the second time they were at the store and he also had his for two years until his nitrates spiked as well. The species is in the Davidaster sp. genus and I have not been able to certainly pin down a species although they may be D. discoideus or D. rubiginosa. Anyways after I lost the original ones I have been looking and looking for the right species and then I finally found this one through a favor. I'm a little confused because this one appears to be in the Davidaster genus, however, unlike the original ones, it is not sticky. So anyways it appears to be eating and I will keep observing. I won't really be able to tell if he is eating until I can see his mouth which is wedged in a rock. He has not been moving which is good though. Anyways if I can find more Davidaster sp. I will certainly get them and work with them more.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some of the coolest looking starfish I've ever seen. The orange one almost looks like an urchin at first.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back