Critically High Chromium, with copper and zinc ICP!

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test result

Above is the link to my ICP test that was taken 23 days after I set up my tank, I received the results last night after a long wait. I had done a 15% and 5% Wc by chance in the interim. last night i dosed triton detox in an effort to reduce the levels. I will perform 2 more 25% WC in the next days and then send a test off.

now, this water was 23 days old!
the RO sent with the sample was also tested and it was fine apart from silicates.
The salt I used was Fauna Marin pro and I have used it for years with no issues.
I checked my vortechs and they were all fine except 1 had a hint of rust at the bottom of one shaft. I will replace this wetside today.

I have checked for screws, blades etc. that have fallen into the tank, nothing.

The rock I used was dry live rock that was previously bleach cured and the salt water cured for 2 months.

I have installed a chiller coil that sits directly in the water, but its Titanium (or so I was told) and there is no signs at all of corrosion.

Could there have been some residual metals on this that were left from manufacturing? or could it be from the glass?
at this time I am at a loss and have lost some corals as a result.

LiquidEric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the coil is the most likely explanation. You may want to remove it to some new saltwater and see if it causes that water to fail an icp test. Is the coil shiny like chrome?

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the coil is the most likely explanation. You may want to remove it to some new saltwater and see if it causes that water to fail an icp test. Is the coil shiny like chrome?

I really really hope not it's the lifeblood of the system and taking it out means a complete tank teardown.

IMG_20190804_205531858.jpg IMG_20190707_175914849.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is the chiller? It looks like an industrial unit of some kind.
Looks like I can see some rust/ discoloring on the 2 vertical tubes.
I have seen these types used in
Industrial plating applications.
Was it ever used in a aquarium environment before.
Those 3 metals are pretty common in industrial plating applications.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is the chiller? It looks like an industrial unit of some kind.
Looks like I can see some rust/ discoloring on the 2 vertical tubes.
I have seen these types used in
Industrial plating applications.
Was it ever used in a aquarium environment before.
Those 3 metals are pretty common in industrial plating applications.

Hi thanks for the feedback, there is no discoloration or degradation I can see. The coil is made for aquarium use. Its not been used before as it is brand new.

Its not a brand name unfortunately.

I think I will have to hope it is an initial/startup issue and do the schedule of water tests. wait a week and send another ICP test.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put my feelers out to other with this type of coil and they report no such issues, it could be that the installer dropped some flecks of solder into the empty tank when it was fitted and I did not pick up on them.

time will tell, just wish I could know a definitive cause.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I think I have the culprit. The welds on the coil were clean during a water change and I found this.....

The colours are leading me to copper green and maybe chrome pink. The rest of the weld had a whitish tinge so maybe zinc oxide
:mad::mad:

IMG_20190911_164818000.jpg IMG_20190911_164813633.jpg

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I think I have the culprit. The welds on the coil were clean during a water change and I found this.....

The colours are leading me to copper green and maybe chrome pink. The rest of the weld had a whitish tinge so maybe zinc oxide
:mad::mad:

IMG_20190911_164818000.jpg IMG_20190911_164813633.jpg
The colours are caused by a very bright torch reflecting where the welds mut have finished.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/63f8f95c9af76d4309bc

My latest report show a decrease in Chrome and Zinc which is very encouraging... silicon has appeared from nowhere. I did have some Ro issues when doing the large WC so it could be that or the biomedia I added last month (not too worried about that). Interesting that copper remains about the same even with water changes, using triton Detox and removing the coil.

The big thing is i have lost no more corals and they all look good. I will send another test next month.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/63f8f95c9af76d4309bc

My latest report show a decrease in Chrome and Zinc which is very encouraging... silicon has appeared from nowhere. I did have some Ro issues when doing the large WC so it could be that or the biomedia I added last month (not too worried about that). Interesting that copper remains about the same even with water changes, using triton Detox and removing the coil.

The big thing is i have lost no more corals and they all look good. I will send another test next month.

Is the reduction becaise you removed the coil?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back