Critique my 90-Gallon Aquascape

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my build thread for my 90-gallon peaceful reef, I just posted pictures and a video of my first preliminary aquascape for my 90-gallon display tank. Critiques and advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am considering gluing sections and starting them cycling until I can set up my reef system. Check out my build thread for more information.
1606235037464.png

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks nice! I wouldn’t put Xenia on the same rock with other corals, it can get invasive. The rocks also may not agree with the bubble coral if it gets blown in to them. Keep in mind too that all the anemones may move.

Look forward to seeing progress pics!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks nice! I wouldn’t put Xenia on the same rock with other corals, it can get invasive. The rocks also may not agree with the bubble coral if it gets blown in to them. Keep in mind too that all the anemones may move.

Look forward to seeing progress pics!
Thanks for advice, @BlennyTime! I would like to split the Xenia onto its own rock, but I am not sure how many islands I can add in limited space while also including the cave and arch. Maybe I will put the Xenia on the island with the BTA's. I will have to research if they can "get along" (or at least not destroy each other, while limiting the other's invasive tendencies with warfare?).

Can you clarify what you mean with the bubble coral? Are you referring to closeness with the Montipora or the structural rocks? Should bubble corals be placed in the sand?

Yeah, I know that the anemones can move. I am hoping to limit this with conditions, but I will see how it goes. If I can somehow establish them where I want and catch splits while they are moving, I can avoid invasion issues. I will continue to do research on the subject of limiting movement if possible.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for advice, @BlennyTime! I would like to split the Xenia onto its own rock, but I am not sure how many islands I can add in limited space while also including the cave and arch. Maybe I will put the Xenia on the island with the BTA's. I will have to research if they can "get along" (or at least not destroy each other, while limiting the other's invasive tendencies with warfare?).

Can you clarify what you mean with the bubble coral? Are you referring to closeness with the Montipora or the structural rocks? Should bubble corals be placed in the sand?

Yeah, I know that the anemones can move. I am hoping to limit this with conditions, but I will see how it goes. If I can somehow establish them where I want and catch splits while they are moving, I can avoid invasion issues. I will continue to do research on the subject of limiting movement if possible.
What I mean with the bubble is it’s soft and inflates quite a bit (like little balloons), so you would want to take the same precautions you would take to keep a balloon from popping (no sharp objects or rough surfaces nearby). The flow in the tank can also move the bubbles against rocks and irritate it, causing it to not inflate or pop.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean with the bubble is it’s soft and inflates quite a bit (like little balloons), so you would want to take the same precautions you would take to keep a balloon from popping (no sharp objects or rough surfaces nearby). The flow in the tank can also move the bubbles against rocks and irritate it, causing it to not inflate or pop.
That is what I supposed. Thanks for confirming. I still have plenty of time to do my research before buying corals, so choices and locations are apt to change if there is a better option.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I supposed. Thanks for confirming. I still have plenty of time to do my research before buying corals, so choices and locations are apt to change if there is a better option.
No problem! A fox coral or elegance might give you the same inflated look, without being as difficult to place. Bubble corals are cool though. Good luck!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! A fox coral or elegance might give you the same inflated look, without being as difficult to place. Bubble corals are cool though. Good luck!
Thanks for other recommendations. Some sources I have read considered fox corals and elegance corals as not recommended for a novice while the bubble coral could still be for a beginner, but I think I have read other sources that say the opposite, so I am not sure.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for other recommendations. Some sources I have read considered fox corals and elegance corals as not recommended for a novice while the bubble coral could still be for a beginner, but I think I have read other sources that say the opposite, so I am not sure.
Get an Australian elegance, those are very hardy. Fox corals are pretty easy too.

I’d consider everything on your picture easy and appropriate for a beginner except the acropora.

Happy reefing, keep us updated :)

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an Australian elegance, those are very hardy. Fox corals are pretty easy too.

I’d consider everything on your picture easy and appropriate for a beginner except the acropora.

Happy reefing, keep us updated :)
I am trying to stick to the beginner corals, which is exactly why the Acropora is only a possible consideration for the future since it is much more difficult. Acropora looks nice, but I do like the movement of soft corals and the look of the plating Montipora more.

I have my overflows on order and hope to have time over the holidays to make progress on the setup, so updates should follow on my build thread.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you rock looks good, but you might want to review the rule of thirds. Consider going one tier higher on the left with another arch that connects to the center. Not sure how that will affect your coral placements.

JonathanCarls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my build thread for my 90-gallon peaceful reef, I just posted pictures and a video of my first preliminary aquascape for my 90-gallon display tank. Critiques and advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am considering gluing sections and starting them cycling until I can set up my reef system. Check out my build thread for more information.
1606235037464.png

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you rock looks good, but you might want to review the rule of thirds. Consider going one tier higher on the left with another arch that connects to the center. Not sure how that will affect your coral placements.
I like this suggestion, and have considered it, but I will have to play around with the rocks to see what I can do. It may limit coral placement and be difficult to achieve without placing rocks too close to the back wall. What is missing in the picture is the depth perception: the highest point on the cave is towards the back, while the arch is slightly in front of middle. I definitely like the suggestion and will take another look at it tonight. This is exactly why I asked for advice before gluing!

The rule of thirds was on my mind when designing this, and the way I plan to incorporate it is to have taller corals on the left side that will fill in vertically. I am still missing my focal points on the corners (at least the top two) according to the rule of thirds, though.

Looks good. Maybe a little more height?
Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to be careful with height of the rocks to leave room for corals to grow vertically. This will depend a lot on coral choices and locations. I also want more open space toward the top for fish to swim. Do you have any specific advice around the corals listed on the picture, or are you suggesting height in general?

One thing about the current height is that I plan to have about 2-3 inches of sand that will cover the base of the rocks (keeping the rock bases flat on the glass to avoid toppling), which will make the rocks appear shorter and lends credence to your suggestion.

Looks great! How do you get the BTA to stay on the rocks?
Um... wishing and hoping they do not like to cross sand. ;) This is no guarantee at all, and is just a hope that I can get them established there before they choose to move. It may be an ongoing battle.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a pic looking straight down from the top?
got more rock?
I do not have a straight-down picture, but I will try to take one tonight. In my build thread, there is a video that might show this better.
Yes, I have plenty more rock. I only used about 1/2 to 2/3 of the rock so far, and the rest will go in the sump or mangrove tank.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestions....
higher on the left side.
switch center structure to the right side. looking straight down rotate it 30-45 degrees. move the right rocks to the center coming off of the rocks that were moved to the right.
or not.
:cool:

Back