Critique my moving plan ahead of time...

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at a move out of state next month, done by myself (U-Haul, in other words). It is a fairly short move distance wise (a 6 hour drive) but my tank is a 6-foot long, 210 gallon tank. The one positive is it is fairly lightly loaded with fish and coral (mainly frags). Please look for my mistakes, or poor planning, and find what I am missing!

I am tight with timing, due to job requirements; I basically have only 3 days to "physically" move.

My plan is a week or two before beginning the move, I am going to move the fish (2 Occ Clowns, a2 1/2" Kole Tang, PJ Cardnial, a bi-color blenny and 3 Dispar anthias into a tall 45 gallon tank I used as a large QT/Hospital tank. I will also move my frags into there. I will then drain the tank, cleaning off an area of bubble algae and a small patch of Aptasia (I swore I would never let it back in, and got there somehow!) I will discard all of my sand/substrate. The tank will be broken down, ready to load up, on moving day.

I will transport the fish in a large insulated cooler with 2 battery powered air pumps for the 6 hour transport, and set the QT tank back up, and replace them all during the day of the move. That will give me a weekend to set up the large tank, with new substrate (already have Reef flakes ordered) and the 2 1/2 days I will need to make enough RODI (I have a 90 GPD Spectrapure RODI hooked up into a 55 gallon mixing station.) I realize I am going to cycle again, and will probably use Dr. Tims to expedite the process, although I will have a small amount of live rock in the "temporary" tank to help seed with, too. Once the cycle is stabilized, I will move everybody (Frags and Fish) back into the large tank.

I simply do not have the time, extra barrels, and moving equipment space to keep all of my rock alive for the transfer, so I am hoping this plan works. Like I said, please tell me what I am forgetting, or not thinking about.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, good luck with the move.

I think it is an excellent idea to breakdown your larger tank and get the fish going in your hospital tank to reduce time the day of the move.

The experience I have with moving fish tanks is that it always takes much longer than you think it will. Make sure you set enough time aside, or even setup a temporary tank for the fish and frags (in the hospital tank) and tackle the larger setup the following weekend if needed.

What might be worth the investment, is a brute trashcan with the wheel attachment. I know you mentioned that you do not have the room requirements, but this would provide enough space for a little live rock as well as a large enough volume to temporarily house the fish and corals for a week or two (if needed). Just drop a power head and a heater in there and a light on top for the frags.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, good luck with the move.

I think it is an excellent idea to breakdown your larger tank and get the fish going in your hospital tank to reduce time the day of the move.

The experience I have with moving fish tanks is that it always takes much longer than you think it will. Make sure you set enough time aside, or even setup a temporary tank for the fish and frags (in the hospital tank) and tackle the larger setup the following weekend if needed.

What might be worth the investment, is a brute trashcan with the wheel attachment. I know you mentioned that you do not have the room requirements, but this would provide enough space for a little live rock as well as a large enough volume to temporarily house the fish and corals for a week or two (if needed). Just drop a power head and a heater in there and a light on top for the frags.
Good idea... I we I'll look into it. Not entirely sure how much extra room I'll have to work with...

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to really watch out for in this case is the potential cycle or cure. If you can't keep all of your previous live rock alive, the dead organics on the rock will leach ammonia upon reintroduction to your main tank.

If you really can't avoid killing the live rock, take things slow with the reintroduction. Start with whatever live rock you have left in the temp tank, and maintain the tank with more frequent water changes. Either introduce the dead rock slowly, or cure it separately to remove potentially destructive organics.

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is a week or two before beginning the move, I am going to move the fish (2 Occ Clowns, a2 1/2" Kole Tang, PJ Cardnial, a bi-color blenny and 3 Dispar anthias into a tall 45 gallon tank I used as a large QT/Hospital tank. I will also move my frags into there.

One thing I've heard through the grapevine is that hospital tanks treated with copper (if you've used it in the past) could leach tiny amounts of copper, that could harm corals.

We'd need a more definitive answer from someone, but it'd be good to find out. Maybe Humblefish?

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've heard through the grapevine is that hospital tanks treated with copper (if you've used it in the past) could leach tiny amounts of copper, that could harm corals.

We'd need a more definitive answer from someone, but it'd be good to find out. Maybe Humblefish?
@humblefish

If my (glass) hospital tank has been vinegar clean, and air dryed for several months, do I risk leaching copper into live rock or frags temporarily housed? I've only used Coppersafe and Prazi in it.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with that stocklist, but might be worthwhile to use two coolers to separate the anthias. I lost a tang to fighting while being transported 45 min.

Elennon19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my corals in home depot buckets. To save water I used 45 gallon trash cans. You can always return them after your done if you don't need them.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine with that stocklist, but might be worthwhile to use two coolers to separate the anthias. I lost a tang to fighting while being transported 45 min.
Great idea. I have two of the battery powered air pump bubblers, so I may just do that. I can probably scare up another cooler...

I put my corals in home depot buckets. To save water I used 45 gallon trash cans. You can always return them after your done if you don't need them.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate anyone and everyone's thoughts...
The only issue with the bucket plan is I am trying to buy a couple weeks to deal with moving and then re-setting up the tank. I anticipate some amount cycle as I will not have enough moving van room to keep all the live rock submerged, not to mention will need a couple days to make enough salt water to fill it again (no LFS within 60 miles of the new location). I do have an extra Maxspect Razor 420 to use as lighting over the hospital tank for the corals, but to keep them in a bucket for a week or two I think would push my luck with lack of sufficient light.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider taking and keeping a decent portion of the live rock alive (If not enough for the whole biological requirements at least it will seed the tank...) Also consider getting hold of an inverter you may be able to plug in a heater, air pump, etc... to help keep livestock or even the rock at a stable temperature for the trip...
Heck it may be worth it to spend a few extra dollars and get the next size truck :)

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider taking and keeping a decent portion of the live rock alive (If not enough for the whole biological requirements at least it will seed the tank...) Also consider getting hold of an inverter you may be able to plug in a heater, air pump, etc... to help keep livestock or even the rock at a stable temperature for the trip...
Heck it may be worth it to spend a few extra dollars and get the next size truck :)

Good idea on the inverter! I will look that up!

Already at the 26' truck level, so it would need to be a second truck. I was planning on using a 20 footer when I was planning on selling the tank, but I decided I needed to bring it with me, so I upsized to the 26 foot truck. I expect I will have enough room, just don't want to bring multiple hefty cans of water and rock (the spousal unit is already being incredibly accommodating. I imagine accidentally spilling 55-110 gallons of salt water in the truck full of our belongings might push that support a little bit)

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other issue that just dawned on me was that this was my "forever tank." I never planned on it ever moving. The entire rock structure is Marco eCemented together to be rock solid...

That is going to add some time to getting the rock out, saved, moved, and set back up...

mrbluefox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sounds sensible. I'd recommend keeping a few cups of sand too. Won't add too much weight and will help seed the new when you're at the other end

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the brute trash can idea. I kept rock alive for months in a garage by using a brute. Stackable Rubbermaid containers work too. Use them as base level and you can stack things on top.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the brute trash can. That way you can take more water with you to refill the 45g qt tank and keep more LR alive. I used neoprene foam to help create a seal on the trash can to reduce water splashing out. And also wrapped some old blankets around it for insulation/soak up any water that does splash out. Would also recommend everthing that is needed be put in last in the truck so its the first out.

Good luck with the move.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the brute trash can. That way you can take more water with you to refill the 45g qt tank and keep more LR alive. I used neoprene foam to help create a seal on the trash can to reduce water splashing out. And also wrapped some old blankets around it for insulation/soak up any water that does splash out. Would also recommend everthing that is needed be put in last in the truck so its the first out.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks so much. I do have a brute can (I actually forgot about, I used it last year to bleach my rocks and dechlorinate everything. I don't have a roller dolly for it, but do have a large had truck. As I have a couple single steps to navigate, the hand truck might work better. I had planned on having everything fish-related in the back of the truck. It is only a six-hour drive, so hopefully temp swings won't be a huge issue.

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back