Crocea or maxima…difference? Which can go on the sandbed?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What’s the difference in care requirements for these clams?
Both have similar.
salinity no higher than 1.025
Temp no higher than 80
CA no higher than 460
mag no higher than 1350
alk not to exceed 10
good lighting
moderate water flow
Nitrate no higher than 10

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my parameters at:
1.026/35ppt
cal 460ppm
Alk 11dkh
Nitrates <10ppm
phosphates <.10ppm
Magnesium 1350ppm-1400ppm

I’m having really good coralline growth. I like where my parameters are at.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my parameters at:
1.026/35ppt
cal 460ppm
Alk 11dkh
Nitrates <10ppm
phosphates <.10ppm
Magnesium 1350ppm-1400ppm

I’m having really good coralline growth. I like where my parameters are at.
You'll be fine. Keep things stable.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By “good lighting” he means 400+ PAR. If you have that on your sand bed, everything else in your tank is dead…

My Maximas are at 500-900 PAR.

Also, you’re asking basic questions easily answered by reading articles, old posts, and/or books.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you’re asking basic questions easily answered by reading articles, old posts, and/or books.
Was this comment really necessary? This is an open forum where questions are welcome regardless of how many times they've been asked.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept all type of clams except Hippopus in my systems.
My clams have done well anywhere from 100PAR on sand (crocea for over 9 years), to higher 250PAR. I run MH and T5s. My tanks are generally stable at 1.026 specific gravity. The calcium and mag are the numbers to pay attention too. Alk too. I run a calcium reactor, but dosing will be necessary as they love to zap minerals out of the water.
Not too much flow directly at them.
Keep babies in a cradle and make sure you have no inhabitants that irritate the clams. Cleaner shrimp will annoy baby clams to death. You can even put a mesh guard around the babes to keep animals out.
All my clams go on the sandbed, usually. Currently my two croceas are up on rocks, but they are big cradling rocks.
Good luck! I love clams.

Just remember, clams need stability. Maturity helps with that. Also, make sure to get from reputable dealer. Clams die easily too. :(

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too keep my Crocea clam on the sandbed (PAR ~ 150). I previously had it up at 300 PAR but it kept on budging itself away from the cradle. I moved it to the sand and it hasn't budged since. It opens nicely every day. I agree that stability is the key here. My Mg is actually sitting at 1500, Alk 8, Ca 440, SG 1.026.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both like the bury themselves into the rock.
First is the max, second is the sqam and derasa, third is the crocea.
Stable waters.
All HATE being moved and have the ability to twist themselves into a happier position.
All getting 80 to 100 PAR.
C8F923C7-5525-40CD-B574-2FA5FCD9E739.jpeg 9CD64E45-ADCD-482C-9F2D-D70F8163EF84.jpeg 1618D7AC-FBE7-4438-8E6F-EC0C32C87053.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone for answering my questions! :)

@Uncle99 those are awesome pictures and your tank is an inspiration!!

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
By “good lighting” he means 400+ PAR. If you have that on your sand bed, everything else in your tank is dead…

My Maximas are at 500-900 PAR.

Wait, How the hell you keep clams in 400+ Par? Isn't that top of tank?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, How the hell you keep clams in 400+ Par? Isn't that top of tank?
Maxima and Crocea clams are shallow water rock dwelling clams. In nature, they receive 1000-2000 PAR easily during the day, and often spend hours exposed to direct sunlight out of water during tidal periods. I’ve seen it.

My clams are on the rocks in my clam tanks. The top of the tanks receive up to 1100 PAR.

Having long term success (5+ years, with steady growth) for maximas and croceas requires intense lighting. It may be that there are some outliers (there always are, hence the word) but by and large, intense lighting is required for both species, otherwise they’ll slowly starve. It may take 1-3 years for them to starve, but it will happen.

Growth is always the indicator of health in this hobby. IME, healthy maximas tend to put on a new row of scutes every 2-3 months until slowing down when they reach ~16-20cm. Croceas grow slower, but you should still see the a bright white area of new growth on the shell. IME, growth stops below ~350 PAR, which indicates starvation. I would consider 350 the borderline bare minimum, and a risky one at that (the clam could face slow starvation, even if it takes a few years). Keep in mind a maxima or crocea would never be receiving such a low amount light in nature. As I said, 1000-2000+ is often the norm in their natural habitat.

Don’t forget that maximas get big, easily 25cm. One of mine is nearing 25cm (about the length of my forearm) and probably weighs ~4kg.

As someone who’s had maximas for nearly 20 years, this is my experience for long term success (5+ years) rather than short term, slow starvation (1-3 years, followed by a “mysterious” death).

Last edited:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima and Crocea clams are shallow water rock dwelling clams. In nature, they receive 1000-2000 PAR easily during the day, and often spend hours exposed to direct sunlight out of water during tidal periods. I’ve seen it.

My clams are on the rocks in my clam tanks. The top of the tanks receive up to 1100 PAR.

Having long term success (5+ years, with steady growth) for maximas and croceas requires intense lighting. It may be that there are some outliers (there always are, hence the word) but by and large, intense lighting is required for both species, otherwise they’ll slowly starve. It may take 1-3 years for them to starve, but it will happen.

Growth is always the indicator of health in this hobby. IME, healthy maximas tend to put on a new row of scutes every 2-3 months until slowing down when they reach ~16-20cm. Croceas grow slower, but you should still see the a bright white area of new growth on the shell. IME, growth stops below ~350 PAR, which indicates starvation. I would consider 350 the borderline bare minimum, and a risky one at that (the clam could face slow starvation, even if it takes a few years). Keep in mind a maxima or crocea would never be receiving such a low amount light in nature. As I said, 1000-2000+ is often the norm in their natural habitat.

Don’t forget that maximas get big, easily 25cm. One of mine is nearing 25cm (about the length of my forearm) and probably weighs ~4kg.

As someone who’s had maximas for nearly 20 years, this is my experience for long term success (5+ years) rather than short term, slow starvation (1-3 years, followed by a “mysterious” death).
I just added a young crocea to my tank, put him on a sandbed level rock that had a nice crevasse he firmly attached to. That area of my sand bed sits at approx 150 par, my intention was to move his rock higher over time. He's been in the tank a week now. Any specific advice on how long to spread that out? Or should I just move him up immediately? I have some areas higher in the tank that are in the 500-600 range I was going to aim for long term.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is still doing well, you can move him to where you want it. Just keep it in the nice little rock you have it on. Make sure it is not too strong of flow and it should do fine. Crocea are my favorite clam by far.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

picture of this 25cm clam or it didnt happen

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back