Crosshatch trigger pair in QT

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a pair of X-hatches and they have already been through 2 weeks of copper power and I transferred them to another sterile tank 2 days ago and started my first of two rounds of GC. The male started eating 3 days after I got him how ever the female has still not eaten yet. I know they can go a good while without eating and I was told they can take a few weeks to start eating but I’m starting to worry if I should try something else with the female. I have tried Mysis, LRS reef frenzy and Rods all with no luck. Should I go to the super market and buy some fresh clams to try? Or don’t sweat it?
@Humblefish @4FordFamily @HotRocks

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little tight for a pair of CH
She may be intimidated
She is certainly shy, a lot more than he is. He comes out to eat or when I'm not in the room (I watch them on cameras), she will come out during the day to swim some but never when I'm in the room. Most triggers I have had are very shy until they warm up to you and learn who you are and that you're not gonna hurt them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some clam, perhaps try some freeze dried shrimp soaked in selcon, vita chem, and zoe. Even just one would probably be fine.

Live blackworms are often irresistible. Believe it or not I’ve had triggers eat nori. Toss in small chunks, and try a clip. Just remove uneaten food within 5-6 hours or so.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some clam, perhaps try some freeze dried shrimp soaked in selcon, vita chem, and zoe. Even just one would probably be fine.

Live blackworms are often irresistible. Believe it or not I’ve had triggers eat nori. Toss in small chunks, and try a clip. Just remove uneaten food within 5-6 hours or so.
The other problem is the male eats everything I throw in there. Should I just keep feeding until he isnt hungry anymore in hopes she can have a chance? Never QT'ed 2 Triggers together so this is different for me.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other problem is the male eats everything I throw in there. Should I just keep feeding until he isnt hungry anymore in hopes she can have a chance? Never QT'ed 2 Triggers together so this is different for me.
Yes. Be prepared for water changes though.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! :)

OK so no luck with food today. But she was out this evening and I notice she has some sort of infection? I did a 50% WC and added more GC. Should I add Kanaplex also? It is on both of her sides and her fins are a little torn up. The male is still prefect and was loving all the extra food tonight. What should my next steps be? I sure hope this doesnt turn in to a nightmare like my Achilles tang did (although that ended good just a super long QT). @4FordFamily @HotRocks @Humblefish

IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a possible infection to me. I’d add metroplex, kanaplex, and furan 2.

Is the water cloudy? Kind of looks it.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a possible infection to me. I’d add metroplex, kanaplex, and furan 2.

Is the water cloudy? Kind of looks it.
Yes it is a little cloudy, pretty sure tank is cycling. Ammonia raised up to alert but it is back down to safe now (on the badge). I added GC right after the WC about 2 hrs ago now I just added kanaplex and furan 2.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a little cloudy, pretty sure tank is cycling. Ammonia raised up to alert but it is back down to safe now (on the badge). I added GC right after the WC about 2 hrs ago now I just added kanaplex and furan 2.
Monitor it closely. I’d recommend Biospira poured in to a HOB filter (with media removed, just a sponge in its place). This’ll help with ammonia dramatically.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor it closely. I’d recommend Biospira poured in to a HOB filter (with media removed, just a sponge in its place). This’ll help with ammonia dramatically.
Thanks! Yeah that’s what I do I have a HOB with no media just biowheel and filter pad. I have been dosing Biospira

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah that’s what I do I have a HOB with no media just biowheel and filter pad. I have been dosing Biospira
OK keep it up, it’ll improve. The over feeding isn’t helping, but of course you want the fish to eat. Necessary evil.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have NFG, might wanna give her a prolonged bath (3-4 hours) in that as it will help with the infection + any ammonia burn. For this particular infection I would actually treat with Neomycin (Seachem Neoplex) back in QT.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have NFG, might wanna give her a prolonged bath (3-4 hours) in that as it will help with the infection + any ammonia burn. For this particular infection I would actually treat with Neomycin (Seachem Neoplex) back in QT.
Thanks for your comment, no NFG unfortunately I just ordered Neoplex as I don’t have that either and it will be here tomorrow (Friday). When can I start treating with Neoplex considering I dosed GC, Furan, and kanaplex on Wednesday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back