Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

Reef tank selection includes the choice between glass and acrylic and many people have a strong opinion. Many of the new nano and pico tanks such as the Eshopps Deskmate are constructed with acrylic and have gotten strong reviews. As tanks get larger, weight becomes an issue and acrylic tanks are lighter. The last time I helped move a 500-gallon tank I was glad it was acrylic. I’m also glad there were some really strong people helping! There are other pros and cons such as acrylic tanks can scratch more easily, but scratches can usually be repaired. What is your opinion about acrylic reef tanks? Please share your comments in the comments below!

ROTM_LouPico.jpeg

December 2022 Reef-of-the-Month by Lou Schiavo using an Eshopps Deskmate Pico Tank; Photo by @WWC

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain and simple, they scratch to easily for me to have one. As careful as I try to be I have scratched every glass tank I've owned. I can only imagine what I would do to an acrylic tank.
EDIT : I would love to have acrylic. I have no doubt of their strength and longevity as well as clarity. It would also be easier to move as I end up moving my tanks alone. I'm just to rough I guess.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always prefer acrylic cause I fabricated them for over 30 years. I have had lots of glass as well. Now days I have several rimless glass that I have never set up. I am building a new acrylic tank for myself and restrict glass tanks to 60 gallons or less in my house.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer acrylic for large tanks, clarity, longevity, scratches are fixable, kids cant break them

I have a small 7g acrylic tank that has been running maybe 8 years now and it only has two scratches in it that I can see and they are so shallow, I could buff it out if I cared enough. The biggest downside is you should really scrape the tank often to keep algae off it as it is a nightmare to get off acrylic if you let it get away for awhile....

With small tanks, glass is easier on upkeep since there are better scrapers and even a razor blade for the tough stuff and so on. You don't really need the durability acrylic offers on a small tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can still kick myself for the many years I refused to go near them in fear of scratches to have acquired my second drop off tank which was acrylic and I was nervous as to when the tank would get its first scratch. It never happened.
I then got my next acrylic which was the 660g and got a couple small scratches from being too careful and have loved them since.
The reduced weight alone despite thickness is a huge advantage not to mention the magnification of what is inside the tank and the nice rounded corners and glow from the lighting

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly never really had an opinion until recently. I have always had glass tanks and acrylic sumps and clearly they both work, however the troubles recently that @Biggestfish has had to deal with confirms I will always have glass tanks. I can appreciate that things happen on both sides (my last glass tank cracked at the bottom center bracing) but I will stick with glass as my preference.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only choose acrylic for large tanks or ones with really odd shapes. You're going to scratch your acrylic tank no matter what you do. That's just the reality of things and it's hard to get the same level of clarity back even if you remove that scratch without completely draining the tank.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180g "Clear for Life" acrylic tank many years ago but it yellowed on me. I've been glass-only since (less than 175g) but I'm contemplating a 500+ build and it will not be glass. It's just too scary to have that much water volume using glass. And btw, I was able to scratch my low-iron glass tank and don't think it can be buffed out. So my vote is: "It depends on the application". In this case, it's size.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want a glass tank for free! Been using acrylic for about 35 years, have tanks that are over 20yrs old and can look brand new!
IMO, most people that don’t like acrylic have never had one, while acrylic owners have had glass, but now would never go back.
Glass scratches are forever!

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want a glass tank for free! Been using acrylic for about 35 years, have tanks that are over 20yrs old and can look brand new!
IMO, most people that don’t like acrylic have never had one, while acrylic owners have had glass, but now would never go back.
Glass scratches are forever!
what do you use to clear the acrylic ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back