Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

• Acrylic tanks are my preference

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Acrylic tanks have their place for certain applications

Votes: 117 30.1%
  • I don’t have a preference (glass or acrylic is okay)

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Acrylic tanks would be my last option

Votes: 147 37.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t the Aquadom aquarium that burst in Berlin a few months ago acrylic?
I think it was glass, wasn't it?

If so, that likely contributed to the problem. You can chemically bond the seams of an acrylic tank, but not a glass one. Don't know why anyone would make such a huge cylinder out of glass and not acrylic, but maybe I have that wrong.

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to always lean towards glass tanks. Not because I'm particular towards it, just because small cheap glass tanks from pet stores tend to be easy and affordable. I find the $1/G sales at some large chain pet stores hard to pass up when I am looking for a tank. Though I could see why people would want acrylic specifically, I don't think either is better or worse than the other. I think they both have their places where they are beneficial, and I would probably go with acrylic if I were building something 200G or larger, just for structural integrity with that much water pressure. Plus, those nano tanks with the lighted edges just look cool, so I would totally consider something like that if I were to ever have the money to throw on an AIO system. The scratching doesn't worry me too much, I have had acrylic panels that I've added into glass tanks, and I don't seem to scratch either up too much personally. Though maybe people who get more aggressive with their algae cleaning might have a different experience than me.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both but the glass is way easier to keep clean

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was glass, wasn't it?

If so, that likely contributed to the problem. You can chemically bond the seams of an acrylic tank, but not a glass one. Don't know why anyone would make such a huge cylinder out of glass and not acrylic, but maybe I have that wrong.
It was acrylic already been talked about here.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I find the $1/G sales at some large chain pet stores hard to pass up when I am looking for a tank…
I could be wrong, but I think the ‘famous’ $1/G sale is only on 5-20g tanks…, bigger ones are discounted but not to $1/G.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I think the ‘famous’ $1/G sale is only on 5-20g tanks…, bigger ones are discounted but not to $1/G.
In my area 50%off

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still kick myself for the many years I refused to go near them in fear of scratches to have acquired my second drop off tank which was acrylic and I was nervous as to when the tank would get its first scratch. It never happened.
I then got my next acrylic which was the 660g and got a couple small scratches from being too careful and have loved them since.
The reduced weight alone despite thickness is a huge advantage not to mention the magnification of what is inside the tank and the nice rounded corners and glow from the lighting
How to you manage to clean the rounded corners? I have a freshwater tank like this and the corners look terrible.

TobyPhatz77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal clear: What is your opinion of acrylic reef tanks?

Reef tank selection includes the choice between glass and acrylic and many people have a strong opinion. Many of the new nano and pico tanks such as the Eshopps Deskmate are constructed with acrylic and have gotten strong reviews. As tanks get larger, weight becomes an issue and acrylic tanks are lighter. The last time I helped move a 500-gallon tank I was glad it was acrylic. I’m also glad there were some really strong people helping! There are other pros and cons such as acrylic tanks can scratch more easily, but scratches can usually be repaired. What is your opinion about acrylic reef tanks? Please share your comments in the comments below!

ROTM_LouPico.jpeg

December 2022 Reef-of-the-Month by Lou Schiavo using an Eshopps Deskmate Pico Tank; Photo by @WWC
More plastic for the sea bed! No!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How to you manage to clean the rounded corners? I have a freshwater tank like this and the corners look terrible.
I use a stick algae cleaner

1677805686475.png

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are right, well close. I did get a 30g tank with same deal, but it is more their smaller tanks. Plus, tech I don't think they call them that anymore, I think cause really it comes out closer to like 1.25 give or take. I just got my quarantine tank on special but it was about $14 for the 10g.

And the 5.5 was $11, and the 20g was $21, so it sort of depends, it's not exactly $1/g anymore.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still kick myself for the many years I refused to go near them in fear of scratches to have acquired my second drop off tank which was acrylic and I was nervous as to when the tank would get its first scratch. It never happened.
I then got my next acrylic which was the 660g and got a couple small scratches from being too careful and have loved them since.
The reduced weight alone despite thickness is a huge advantage not to mention the magnification of what is inside the tank and the nice rounded corners and glow from the lighting

ah ya.. weight is a big one too.. when I go big I want to just bring it on the house with no fuss of breaking my back or worrying I will bang a corner... just doo dee doo dee doo... bonus to acrylic if you have any stairs too...

Then if I ever have to move... its acrylic... it won't really be so bad...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a GC 240 a decades + ago loved how 2 guys could move it. had glass ever since.
BUT I was tank shopping last BF/CM as really thought about acrylic again. I was right at that spot in my mind of how many gallons I should go lighter .

that said i ended up with a 200 low iron glass glass. but I keep thinking I should have gone bigger and acrylic.

would be a cool experiment to see two same sizr tanks set up one glass the other acrylic and run for a min. of 2 years.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 fresh acrylic tank...it's not been bad at all to maintain...I actually love it.

Have a 40B glass Saltwater. . love it also...but if I had to algae Scrub the acrylic like I do the Glass....I'm afraid I would scratch the crap out of it.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Micro mesh and elbow grease.. it will fix any scratch in water with a full blown reef and no ill effects.

which micromesh do you use? do you have a link?

in addition to magic eraser sponge, do you use any scraper?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back