CSB craze and rare nems out of control.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but LFS sell common stuff we don't want (Xenia, Green Star Polyp, Common Mushrooms, Common Zoanthids).

That is why I buy all my Corals at Frag Swaps.

- High End Collector Corals that People want.
- You Get to see the Corals in person and get them home the same day.
- No $50 Shipping.
- Great Prices

It is a no brainer.

If you want to get Great Corals for a Great Price and see them in Person go to Frag Swaps.

I saw a Coral Online once for $40. That same Vendor brought it to a Coral Show. I assumed it would be $40 just like on the site and was prepared to pay that. When I asked the Price he said $20. So I got the Same $40 Coral for half price and did not have to pay shipping. This is why I buy everything from Frag Swaps.

That's nice and all. Closest swap or meet to me is a six hour drive. I don't have a LFS. I stick to the members on here, you can find great deals, without the price tags and get pics under a whiter spectrum. You don't have to spend $100's on anything to have a good looking tank.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, keep drinkin' that kool aid.
Whatever... I simply explained what they are, and why they are priced high, and why the CB RBTA is nothing special, but you decide to put me down for it. Nice!

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever... I simply explained what they are, and why they are priced high, and why the CB RBTA is nothing special, but you decide to put me down for it. Nice!
Sorry, that post of mine was rather rude.
But I really do feel that people are being conned bigtime.
Even this forum is much too commercial and monetized for my taste, tbh.
If I didn't have an effective ad blocker, I don't think I'd spend as much time here.
My ad blocker was disabled for a while and I was shocked at all the garbage this site was throwing at me.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a complaint thread every week on torches and high end nems. You don't have to buy it. You don't have to have it. There are people who have so much money that 2k means nothing. Haven't you seen people spaying bottles of Dom Perignon like they were carbonated water?
There are many beautiful zoas that cost 5pp. But people prefer to buy "high end" at much higher prices. At one point a home wrecker frag are $500 for a 3/4" frag.
Complaining about prices is pointless.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice and all. Closest swap or meet to me is a six hour drive. I don't have a LFS. I stick to the members on here, you can find great deals, without the price tags and get pics under a whiter spectrum. You don't have to spend $100's on anything to have a good looking tank.

Where do you live?

Here in Michigan we have 12 swaps a year

Most are only a 30 to 45 minute drive for me

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that post of mine was rather rude.
But I really do feel that people are being conned bigtime.
Even this forum is much too commercial and monetized for my taste, tbh.
If I didn't have an effective ad blocker, I don't think I'd spend as much time here.
My ad blocker was disabled for a while and I was shocked at all the garbage this site was throwing at me.

It’s not your money nor are you forced to buy expensive stuff

There are Corals for every budget ( I have seen frags for as low as $2.50 at a Coral Show)

Some people have spent tens of millions on a single car

Others have spent hundreds of millions on a single painting

Most people would say that is silly

But to those that made the purchases it was a great deal otherwise they would not have bought those things

If you don’t like a price wait for it to drop or shop around

I don’t see why people complain about these things?

It’s not like it does any good anyways

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there's a complaint thread every week on torches and high end nems. You don't have to buy it. You don't have to have it. There are people who have so much money that 2k means nothing. Haven't you seen people spaying bottles of Dom Perignon like they were carbonated water?
There are many beautiful zoas that cost 5pp. But people prefer to buy "high end" at much higher prices. At one point a home wrecker frag are $500 for a 3/4" frag.
Complaining about prices is pointless.

Excellent point

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other people pay directly impacts the price for the rest of us.

No it doesn’t

What other people pay is irrellevant

What matters is what you pay as its your money

Do research
Shop around

I have seen one person selling a coral for ten times less than the next guy

Quit complaining

Shop local and go to Frag swaps

If all you do is look at online websites stuff will probably be high

Look elsewhere

There are a zillion opportunities out there

I see them all the time

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen super small frags and high prices sell fast from some sellers. Same frag cheaper and larger wont sell from another. Marketing and/or trust of the seller. The suckering is tough. Have to always be careful who you buy from - even more so from just photos.
Also have to understand how that coral is kept. Coral can be so different based on lights, par, flow, alk, wild over aquaculture. I sell the same coral to people since it looks better in the my tank :p

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it doesn’t

What other people pay is irrellevant

What matters is what you pay as its your money

Yes it does effect others.
When a coral that used to sell for $100 now costs $799 because a few sellers decided it was something special and inflated the price.
Suppliers see this and decide they want a piece of the pie and bump up the wholesale price 400%.
So don't pretend it doesn't effect everyone because it does.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a coral that used to sell for $100 now costs $799 because a few sellers decided it was something special and inflated the price.
Suppliers see this and decide they want a piece of the pie and bump up the wholesale price 400%.
Dont buy it. It's that simple. There are many more cheap corals than there are expensive ones. ALL of the beautiful tanks I have seen dont have a homewrecker or a CSB in them. What people willing to pay for them don't affect your reefing experience. If it does then get out of the hobby. Reefing if not about having the most expensive corals.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, the supply and demand solution is to reduce demand by not purchasing those items that are deemed to be overpriced. However that is different from the argument as to whether or not what others pay have an impact on pricing. As the operator of a $150m business I can tell you that next to cost of goods, it is the most important factor in pricing an item. Also, I and many others in the hobby live hundreds of miles from major population centers and therefore, frag swaps.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy it. It's that simple. There are many more cheap corals than there are expensive ones. ALL of the beautiful tanks I have seen dont have a homewrecker or a CSB in them. What people willing to pay for them don't affect your reefing experience. If it does then get out of the hobby. Reefing if not about having the most expensive corals.

Yes it does affect my experience, it affects the whole hobby.
Why you can't see this is beyong belief.
And i'm not about to leave the hobby i have been in for 20 years because some no mark on the internet tells me to.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you bought something advertised as a CSB..... which I am guessing you paid a bunch of money for...... and now you want to know how/why an online retailer is slangin’ the next high-priced fancy designer nem?

People like you...... that’s why.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you bought something advertised as a CSB..... which I am guessing you paid a bunch of money for...... and now you want to know how/why an online retailer is slangin’ the next high-priced fancy designer nem?

People like you...... that’s why.

You missed the entire point of his post!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed the entire point of his post!

Oh yeah? and what was that, since I still clearly don’t get it. Where I’m sitting, he is saying he bought an expensive nem, and also shops are giving color variations name and asking a lot of money for them.....

How dare they?!!!! I only bought hype-marketed-nems in late-2018.... new me is now crazed with outrage at hype-market-nem pricing.....

so again.... What was his point?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like you said (A few Sellers).

Go to Frag Swaps or Local Hobbyists.

If you take the time to actually look and do research you can probably fin that $799 Coral that used to be $100 for $50.

You keep mentioning The Top Sellers then you Mention Wholesalers.

The Problem is you are NOT looking in the right places.

Often times Hobbyists are buying direct from the Big Names too but can't get that Price when they go to resell so the price is lowered alot.

I see it all the time.

Back