Cthulukelele's hodgepodge softy and anemone 120g

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I be pruning my chaeto? I started with about a baseball's worth. Now I probably have a 5 gallon bucket and change worth. It's in a 20 gallon dedicated tank so still lots of room to grow (especially downward)
Really until there is enough room for it grow or it starts dying. The more the merrier. Something you can do is add the excess to your DT and it can remove more nitrates faster.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad an idea is a blue streak cleaner wrasse? I have noticed my anthias really enjoy getting cleaned, and I figured they may appreciate one. Also selfishly I've always wanted one. I feed 4-5 times a day. I figure if my lfs has one I see snack on some frozen it might be okay?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad an idea is a blue streak cleaner wrasse? I have noticed my anthias really enjoy getting cleaned, and I figured they may appreciate one. Also selfishly I've always wanted one. I feed 4-5 times a day. I figure if my lfs has one I see snack on some frozen it might be okay?
I can see why you like them as they are a peculiar looking fish and they are pretty. But it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing! They tend to do the opposite of helping, especially if it’s with small fish. They tend to actually abuse the fish if it’s clean and have ended up killing fish this way. Because the fish is clean, and there are not parasites and few dead skin cells clinging to them, the cleaner wrasse will repeatedly harass the fish until it gets sick and then it cleans them. Since you already have 2 shrimps constantly cleaning IMO it would be a bad idea.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see why you like them as they are a peculiar looking fish and they are pretty. But it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing! They tend to do the opposite of helping, especially if it’s with small fish. They tend to actually abuse the fish if it’s clean and have ended up killing fish this way. Because the fish is clean, and there are not parasites and few dead skin cells clinging to them, the cleaner wrasse will repeatedly harass the fish until it gets sick and then it cleans them. Since you already have 2 shrimps constantly cleaning IMO it would be a bad idea.
This was the level head I needed lol

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I split the uprights and get a neon goby? Barely any bioload, also a cleaner, and probably okay with tankmates

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooo my girlfriend and I went to the good petco south of the city to get cat litter, and they had some healthy looking aquacultured cleaner gobies! He has taken to hanging out on and under the toadstool coral with the green clown goby. It is quite cute. Also had a really nice campfire feather duster. Good way to start the day.

The bad news was I was attempting to install a 57watt Aqua UV sterilizer I got from a nice local. Got everything set up, but then tightening it closed I shattered the quartz sleeve. Had to order a new one! Will post pics once I finish the install midweek when the new sleeve arrives.

20230122_221820.jpg
20230122_222102.jpg
20230122_222104.jpg

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of petco or buying anything reef related by them, but every once in a while you find that Diamond in the Rough lol. Nice finds! Has the goby taking to liking of someone yet to clean?
Not yet. They were pretty skittish. Ate well though. Arctis pods, fish eggs, lrs reef frenzy nano, and crushed up flake. MI

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of petco or buying anything reef related by them, but every once in a while you find that Diamond in the Rough lol. Nice finds! Has the goby taking to liking of someone yet to clean
Also this petco actually looked really great when I went a few weeks ago. Only reason I went back. Really healthy everything no aiptasia no cyano really just some bubble algae. Even some healthy looking frags and a carpet anemone. Carpet was still there and healthyish looking 3 weeks later when I went yesterday.
20230116_121208.jpg
20230116_121205.jpg
20230116_120945.jpg
20230116_121214.jpg

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating replacing my hydor 1350 nanos I've used for years with a couple hygger 1350gph mini wavemakers to complement more random flow to the random flow of my icecap 3k gyre.

I also got a trial skimmer from a company on here I'm going to compare to my reef octopus. Shoutout to @IOAOI for the skimmer.

Will be installing skimmer (which arrived today) and finish installing uv sterilizer (Aqua 57w) when replacement for the quartz sleeve arrives sometime between now and Friday broke it screwing around not knowing what I was doing RIP). Already tested function and for leaks with a Sicce Syncra 1.5. Running oversized with lower flow to get bang for buck for both parasites and water clarity. Installed with velcro strips.

I've also been missing my leopard wrasse lately. Was going to add a biota mandarin or geometric pygmy perchlet next, but I'm wondering how well a blue star leopard wrasse would do with the stocking. I know it shouldn't be a problem temperament wise, but I worry about pods. I have TONS of pods now all over my display walls and absolutely COATING my fuge, but I'm worried the 120 with a 20 gallon fuge might not be enough to supply pods for both a mandarin and a leopard wrasse. Maybe I establish the mandarin first then make sure it's acclimated to frozen before considering the wrasse?

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizer installed! Velcroed in vertically. Running at around 400gph oversized to double dip on water clarity and disease/Dino control. Had some complications installing skimmer so put the other one back in for the night. Will finish that install tomorrow. Fun stuff!
20230126_202551.jpg

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of petco or buying anything reef related by them, but every once in a while you find that Diamond in the Rough lol. Nice finds! Has the goby taking to liking of someone yet to clean?
I spied them cleaning the anthias and the cherub angel today! They've been eating like a champ and has noticeably thickened in just a few days (makes sense since it's nearly a baby and is eating 4-5 times a day). Belly always so round! Eats everything I put in the tank. Even grabs whole mysis and chunks of clam even though it can't swallow them lol.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Soooooo my girlfriend and I went to the good petco south of the city to get cat litter, and they had some healthy looking aquacultured cleaner gobies! He has taken to hanging out on and under the toadstool coral with the green clown goby. It is quite cute. Also had a really nice campfire feather duster. Good way to start the day.

The bad news was I was attempting to install a 57watt Aqua UV sterilizer I got from a nice local. Got everything set up, but then tightening it closed I shattered the quartz sleeve. Had to order a new one! Will post pics once I finish the install midweek when the new sleeve arrives.

20230122_221820.jpg
20230122_222102.jpg
20230122_222104.jpg
I got a Sharknose from Petco and he's been doing great! Always fat and happy. He's been spotted cleaning one of my Damselfish at least once. I'm considering getting a Blue Cleaner Goby for the other end of the 125.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Sharknose from Petco and he's been doing great! Always fat and happy. He's been spotted cleaning one of my Damselfish at least once. I'm considering getting a Blue Cleaner Goby for the other end of the 125.
Super fun personality. I imagine exactly the same as your sharknose. Loves cruising in place near the spot they chose nestled next to the toadstool coral and simping for fish to suck on.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My damsel hated them so much when first added, but they've since decided it's friendly because it never leaves its spot to invade damsels overhang island. The royal gramma is the only fish that's still skeptical, and I really think it's just cuz of how close the cleaner goby is to snack sized.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Super fun personality. I imagine exactly the same as your sharknose. Loves cruising in place near the spot they chose nestled next to the toadstool coral and simping for fish to suck on.
Pretty much, yep! He set up his cleaning station and doesn't go far from it.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some refugium update pics. Started a little less than a month ago with a baseball sized piece of chaeto. Now have about 2 5 gallon buckets worth. Been dosing phyto in it and with the ultra slow flow rate the water is actually a tinge green all the time now. Pods absolutely coating all 4 walls and the rocks below.
20230128_104502.jpg
20230128_104520.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back