CUC/ emerald crab question

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had a bit of a nuisance algae problem, that was definitely my fault. Had a 1 week trip, left the auto feeder on for a month because it was convenient. Yeah, 100% my fault. That said, I'm winning now, and the massive amounts of algae are declining. But, there seems to be some that stubbornly hangs out on the rocks and comes back even when removed. I have cerith snails and one big hermit crab that'll eat algae, but they aren't on top of it. My big question is: what cuc lawnmowers are there out there that I could look to that are fairly reef safe and compatible with: 1 clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and possibly 1 peppermint, though I haven't seen that sneaky hidy little ******* for a very long time. Since some of my algae is bubble algae, would an emerald crab be a good possibility? Do they only eat bubble algae or will they go for any algae? Would it have trouble if it got a little hazing from the gramma at the beginning? That only usually lasts a day or two, I really have a model citizen gramma.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a 54 gallon main tank, 65 total system. Is that a problem? Do they eat bubble algae? And are they any risk to the fish?
I have a 13.5 Gallon with a tuxedo in it and he's fine for now, lots of food. I haven't seen them eat bubble algae, so I'm not sure. No risk to fish, I've never had my tuxedos do anything to the fish.

They will pick up every single loose frag in your tank and wear it as a hat though. So be warned. What's not glued down will be found.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 Gallon with a tuxedo in it and he's fine for now, lots of food. I haven't seen them eat bubble algae, so I'm not sure. No risk to fish, I've never had my tuxedos do anything to the fish.

They will pick up every single loose frag in your tank and wear it as a hat though. So be warned. What's not glued down will be found.
That sounds hilarious. And considering the pistol shrimp already does a significant amount of redecorating, i'm used to frags moving around and being used as decor. Are they hardy? I'm assuming they're a bit of a calcium load. I have no reactor but i'm religious about weekly 8% water changes. How do you like to acclimate them? A good bag float with occasional water injections from my tank? Turbo snails have also captured my attention though I know they won't eat bubble algae. I'm also concerned the hermit crab would consider them a meal.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep hermits well fed and give lots of shells and they won’t bother snails.
Emerald are hit or miss as for whether they bother coral and inverts, but they definitely are great for algae! They will eat just about anything.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald are hit or miss as for whether they bother coral and inverts, but they definitely are great for algae! They will eat just about anything.
I actually just had to pull out all my blue leg hermits. They developed a taste for Astrea's. I had 20+ extra shells for 10 hermits, I fed like mad, PLENTY of extra food to eat. Nope, watch the two big ones pull over a snail and start pulling at it when it tried to right itself. That was the end of those. Albeit rare, there is a risk associated with it. In 15+ years this is the first time I've had this specific issue.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with tuxedo urchins? I'm probably leaning towards them or a turbo snail or two at this point.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t kept one yet but I plan to get one (or some other urcnin) soon.
Everything I know is that they are super effective, just be aware that everything in the tank will become its hat.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t kept one yet but I plan to get one (or some other urcnin) soon.
Everything I know is that they are super effective, just be aware that everything in the tank will become its hat.
You say that as though that isn't a perk that I expect lol. Also my pistol shrimp redecorates all the time, takes frags and uses them to make a gate to his lair, so i'm used to frags moving around.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
carribean blue leg hermits (these are tiny)
pencil urchin
Astrea snail
ninja star snail

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
personally, i’ve been wanting to convert to an all snail CUC and put the crabs in the sump. having hermits fight for shells and having the potential to go AWOL is not something i want to keep monitoring. as of yet they’ve been fine, but rather be proactive!

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with tuxedo urchins? I'm probably leaning towards them or a turbo snail or two at this point.
Get a tuxedo urchin, I promise, they are a ton of fun and hard workers. I personally think they're the ideal inhabitant for a reef tank. They are super fun to watch, eat a ton of algae, and are interesting to look at. They've been super hardy for me, no issues with mine ever.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the tuxedos
If you want hermits get the scarlet reef hermits (paguristes cadenati). They are docile and don't usually want any of the shells we tend to have in our tanks. they have dainty little claws that are meant for picking up food particles and don't have that serrated crushing grip that most hermits have. In the 10 years I've been reefing I have never seen them attack any snail, coral, invert, etc. Even other hermits. Blue legs seem to never last while these guys lived 3 or 4 years for me.

Back