CUC/Inverts in a FOWLR tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A siphon? I would not necessarily use a CUC in a FOWLR, mainly because the fish tend to eat them - and they may not have enough 'food' to survive. My CUC (I had a huge one) disappeared completely after the purchase of a larger harlequin tusk. I have never replaced them

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chocolate Chip Starfish can hold their own against Triggers and Puffers. You can't use them around ANY coral. Mexican Turbo Snails will last a short while. I really haven't found anything else that isn't on the lunch menu.

I did have a monster-sized Red Hermit Crab once that did a good job of eating leftovers. However, he was always running around the tank perimeter, climbing decor and rocks like he was desperate to escape. Figured out why one day when after many, many months in that tank, the Snowflake Eel decided he smelled tasty. Took her an hour to rip him apart bite by bite.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends if you have sand or not.

With sand i would add in starfish of some time/conchs/urchins if no sand then i would skip these and just do Snails/crabs.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Frostblitz20: substrate greatly expands your options (black cucumbers, cerith and nassarius snails, feather dusters, long tube anemones, starfish, etc.) This is probably also the list of what I’d exclude in a bare bottom setup.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @Frostblitz20: substrate greatly expands your options (black cucumbers, cerith and nassarius snails, feather dusters, long tube anemones, starfish, etc.) This is probably also the list of what I’d exclude in a bare bottom setup.
Curious though, what then becomes the difference between a 'reef tank' and a FOWLR. My impression was that people that wanted to keep FOWLR's in general - were doing so because they want to keep things that will kill reef inhabitants (like cucumbers, snails, feather dusters, etc). I guess the maintenance is also simpler with regards to chemistry, etc with no corals

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious though, what then becomes the difference between a 'reef tank' and a FOWLR. My impression was that people that wanted to keep FOWLR's in general - were doing so because they want to keep things that will kill reef inhabitants (like cucumbers, snails, feather dusters, etc). I guess the maintenance is also simpler with regards to chemistry, etc with no corals
Corals would be my guess. I don’t have any desire for a FOWLR tank, and I’m not sure what the cleanup crew requirements would even be - only that typically you’ll see more non reef-safe fish in a FOWLR (which also often means non invert-safe).

Apeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that has survived my tank has been a Tiger Cowrie. He’s been flipped over a few times but they can’t get to him. He does not move around during the day but once it’s lights off he’s very active.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage my water the same way for my fish as I would for coral, though alkalinity and calcium concentrations are much easier to maintain :)

I added 15 Mexican turbos to manage hair algae. I decided one day that I was tired of it. I now have 15 golf ball size snails roaming the tank. You might say I have invert tank because their biomass is larger than the 7 Green Chromis.

Anyway, I think the FOWLR can be broadly defined unless you stock aggressive meat eaters.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 120 gallon FOWLR for about 20 years at a local campground. It had the stock lighting which were some weird triton HO tubes, maybe 1 watt per gallon. I could keep a few mushrooms alive. I upgraded to some used VHO's for a bit and then had some easy softies grow for a while. The tank was run with well water, no coral additives, no ATO, just topped off every few days, no closet space/fish room for all the gear.

It was never in the cards to ever run it as a reef tank. I would have been more demanding of the owners if that is what they wanted, but they just wanted pretty fish and have it set up in a couple of months.

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Fowlr because I’m more interested in the fish than the corals. It seems to my from my experience with people in the reef community that they’re more into the coral than the fish. Another reason I’m fowlr as you mentioned I can keep any fish I want. I love my triggers. For my “clean up” I had a diamond goby that kept the sandbed white. I have to get another. Lastly, fowlr is a lot less expensive and a lot less maintenance. I’m not dosing, buying special pumps, and whatever else reef people do.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60184D7E-5800-4C9B-8123-71959A67146D.jpeg

No cleanup crew for me. I feed frozen Mussels in my FOWLR. If it even LOOKS like food, it’s like the movie “Gone in 60 Seconds!” Lol.

mellgibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60184D7E-5800-4C9B-8123-71959A67146D.jpeg

No cleanup crew for me. I feed frozen Mussels in my FOWLR. If it even LOOKS like food, it’s like the movie “Gone in 60 Seconds!” Lol.
Frozen mussels still in the shell? What’s this I read about puffers and triggers needing to eat shells to keep their teeth grinded?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back