CUI Marine Lab Uses the Reef Octopus Light Reactor

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
CUI Marine Lab Uses the Reef Octopus Light Reactor

Customer Profile: Concordia University Marine Lab

Thank you for your report. How would you estimate the reduction of nitrates and phosphates capability for my Red Sea 500 Max S, which is total 135 gal mixed reef with sump? Small tank and I like to have a full load of fish. My nitrates are usually around 25 and phosphates 0.5, and I currently run a sump refugium with 6 types of algae (sea grapes, red and green, dragon, but no Caelerapa).

Also how would you compare this light reactor to a bio-pellet like the Reef Octopus Biochurn. I fear bio-pellets because they can wipe out nutrients to zero.

Thank you.

OP
Jeff@CoralVue

[email protected]

Proud R2R Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for your report. How would you estimate the reduction of nitrates and phosphates capability for my Red Sea 500 Max S, which is total 135 gal mixed reef with sump? Small tank and I like to have a full load of fish. My nitrates are usually around 25 and phosphates 0.5, and I currently run a sump refugium with 6 types of algae (sea grapes, red and green, dragon, but no Caelerapa).

Also how would you compare this light reactor to a bio-pellet like the Reef Octopus Biochurn. I fear bio-pellets because they can wipe out nutrients to zero.

Thank you.
Hi, RedSea500MaxS! Thank you for your post. I didn't want to respond to your question myself as I only have experience with algae scrubbers and, while familiar with the others, have not tried them myself. So I reached out to our support team and they were adamant that using an algae scrubber would do a much better job of helping you control the nutrients in your aquarium than the reactor in terms of natural filtration methods. You won't enjoy the benefits of creating a pod haven like you can with an algae reactor, but if your ultimate goal is reduction of nitrates and phosphates, we want to steer you in the right direction. Biopellets can take a couple of months to do their thing, but they are definitely an effective way to lower nutrients. You can find testimonials for this all over the web. Of course, you'll need to replace the media from time to time vs. a more natural filter like a scrubber where the ongoing maintenance costs will be less.

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 413 60.7%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 164 24.1%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 117 17.2%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 449 66.0%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 71 10.4%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 452 66.5%