Cultivating frags by hanging on string?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out

Don't care for the rest of the panels, great work, but the first panel shows a PVC structure with SPS growing on strings. I wonder, any benefit to this for us reefers to do this?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of restoration efforts use this method. I believe the idea is that it gives the corals better even flow and lighting to all polyps, allowing optimal growth rates. Kind of looks weird though. If you are a farmer go for it otherwise I don't think the small edge in growth is worth the look to me.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, if optimizing production is priority number 1, it’s a production technique not suited to our displays but easily integrated infrag/growout tank instead of using eggcrate.

Clam & mussel farmers as well as seaweed farmers use nets in protected waters.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen this before in several coral restoration documentaries. It apparently expedites growth. I actually contemplated trying to do it by using a piece of fishing line and a pencil to suspend a frag from my screen net top for a frag that was stalled.

IMO, it's not the most attractive method of growing corals, but neither are frag racks or plugs and if it's temporary it could be interesting to see if you can get a coral that isn't growing, growing.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: for me - this can serve as a nice buffer time between when I get a coral frag home and when I finally commit to where I want it in my scape.

I got a gorgonian and tied it to thread and hung it in the tank for a week before I glued it in a spot. It worked great and has now encrusted the new placement.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back