Culturing and feeding Phytoplankton to Coral, Pods and Fish

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using white led and let them on 24/7 since there in a cooler room and I need the heat from the lights...
may change how m doing that
Wonder if your yield would go up using something like these LEDs

AveyLum Plant Grow Light 5050 SMD LED Plant Strip Lights Indoor Growing Lamp 16.4ft Waterproof Flexible Soft Rope Light with 12V Adapter for Greenhouse Hydroponics Flower Seeds(Red Blue 4:1)

Or something like them?

Sorry posting from my phone does not seam to give me the tool bar to use for linking on a word

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if your yield would go up using something like these LEDs

AveyLum Plant Grow Light 5050 SMD LED Plant Strip Lights Indoor Growing Lamp 16.4ft Waterproof Flexible Soft Rope Light with 12V Adapter for Greenhouse Hydroponics Flower Seeds(Red Blue 4:1)

Or something like them?

Sorry posting from my phone does not seam to give me the tool bar to use for linking on a word

6500k daylight LEDs will be as efficient asthose given the multitude of other parameters that are in play

Side benefit ofvusing daylight white spectrum is the ease of visually monitoring density- greener the better.

With red-blue grow lights- there's no green in the spectrum to reflect, so it all looks black.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first culture of phytoplankton, nanno. I rinsed everything with alcohol after drying, rinsed everything with RO/DI. Salinity is 1.021. Light is a 4000k led. Running the air through RO/DI water then into my culture hoping this will help filter the air.
If successful, I have a clear plastic tub I will setup everything in and put aluminum foil around the perimeter.
I also will try culturing test.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

20200713_112759.jpg

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is much more dilute than the Fritz product I use - they recommend 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons or 0.5 ml per gallon. One milliliter equals about 20 drops.
The direction said to use 1 ml per litre. That's is what used.
Just added .5 ml or should I add more. Hope it helps. How long will it be before I see if it helped?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The direction said to use 1 ml per litre. That's is what used.
Just added .5 ml or should I add more. Hope it helps. How long will it be before I see if it helped?
Can't hurt, give it a try. Should see results in a couple of days. Use a 12-hour photoperiod.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have been running 16 hrs photoperiod. I'll cut it back to 12.
What should room temperature be?
OH, 16 hours is OK. Any reasonable temp is OK 70-80 for instance. Maybe a couple degrees higher or lower. Make sure you've got good aeration in the culture vessels.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are some progression photos for this weeks culture. 1st pic is about 500ml or less of phyto backfilled with salt water. The second pic was taken a few days later and the 3rd is the 6th day and will be harvested tonight or tomorrow depending on time I have.
IMG_1618.jpeg
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1682.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back