Culturing Phytoplankton Without F2 Fertilizer

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to remake this thread because answers to this will help reefers all over the world: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/culturing-phytoplankton-without-fertilizer.767227/

Guillards F2 Fertilizer is American made. Which means anyone outside of America has to import it. I have been endlessly searching the internet for substitutes to F2 Fert, some say Liquid Plant Fert is the next best thing but can throw off your Reef Parameters [Apparently, I have seen no cases of this in forums]
I'm never going to pay $45 postage on top of the F2 Fert cost. Someone please help me, I want to grow Phyto but I am new to reefing and don't really know the possibilities.
My brain has just been totally affixed on creating a self sustaining Copepod Culture but Guillards F2 absolutely ruins it for it's unavailability and no real information on ANY other option..

Please Do Not Recommend Guillards F2 Fertilizer In This Thread. Not Everyone Lives In Your Country.

@andrewkw , I'm located in the States, any sources up in Canada?

And no. It's not possible to culture phytoplankton without fertilizer. The phytoplankton we work with are not diazotrophs (take in atmospheric N2 nitrogen), and thus need nitrogen supplementation as well as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and a couple of other things. You could try culturing with skimmate as a fertilizer, or better, miracle grow liquid fertilizer, but really Guillard's F/2 is highly recommended.
One of the best answers to this thread online I have found so far.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada. I got the guillards (I know you said you didn’t want to hear about it) from Amazon for $40 no extra shipping cost. And to be honest the bottle will probably last forever, such a small amount is needed to cultivate the phytoplankton. Which, if you figure the cost of phytoplankton from retail stores, for me a one time cost of $40 for lifetime of phytoplankton is not too bad. But I understand what your saying, a lot of things are just not available in Canada compared to U.S. and if it is then it cost way much more than it should.

I would also like to hear if there is another alternative besides F2

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a ton of people opt for miracle gro. I’ve never tried it myself but with the sheer amount of people that use it I’d have a hard time believing there’s any adverse affects when using the phyto or pods in a reef system.

SE7ƎN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue as well with not being able to get my hands on F2, since I am living abroad as an Expat.

I have been reading on people being wary of using anything else other than F2, however, I came across this article from Melev’s Reef and he uses Miracle Grow as well: https://melevsreef.com/articles/culture-your-own-phytoplankton

I’m going to give it a shot…

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biomass production and nutrient uptake by Isochrysis aff. galbana (Clone T-ISO) cultured with a low cost alternative to the f/2 medium
Unfortunately the article isn't open access, so you either need to have access through a company or institution or purchase it.

Protein, carbohydrate, lipid and chlorophyll a content in Isochrysis aff. galbana (clone T-Iso) cultured with a low cost alternative to the f/2 medium
Free PDF via Researchgate.net: Protein, carbohydrate, lipid and chlorophyll a content in Isochrysis aff. galbana (clone T-Iso) cultured with a low cost alternative to the f/2 medium

Alternatively you can also always mix your own F/2 solution as the recipe is public:

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also flat out false that all Guillards F2 Fertilizer is American made. It's an open recipe and, if you do some research, you will find it to be available in many countries:

UK:

Hong Kong / China / East Asia:

Germany/EU:

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is really no supplier of F/2 in your country or your surrounding countries (kinda doubtful), then why not buy all of the ingredients, mix it up yourself, and become that supplier as a side thing for a little extra money? It's not that expensive to buy those vitamins, and the rest is just cheap salts

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still costs >$50 USD plus Customs for me…
Thailand has a massive ornamental aquaculture industry. Also lots of shrimp farming for human consumption. Those farms definitely culture algae and need fertilizers in decent amounts. I would bet a university with an aquaculture department or a fish or shrimp farm can point you to local sources.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guillards F2 fertilizer is a general formula which can be reproduced or modified. There is no patent related to it, therefore I do not see the problem in using a fertilizer based on F2 in any part of the world. For example, in Spain the company EasyReefs sells its own modified recipe, known as EasyPhyt.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a ton of people opt for miracle gro. I’ve never tried it myself but with the sheer amount of people that use it I’d have a hard time believing there’s any adverse affects when using the phyto or pods in a reef system.
Now, Miracle-Gro is truly a U.S. product.
And whether it is suitable depends on the microalgae you intend to grow and what you want to use that microalgae for.
For aquaculture purpose it wouldn't be my first or even second choice.

And, once you dive a little deeper into culturing microalgae, you will find that even the standard f/2 formula isn't a one size fits all solution. It's a decent compromise but ultimately, each microalgae has a slightly different nutritional profile, and some even vastly different.
People who grow microalgae for a living usually make adjustments to the f/2 formula for different species or use a different base formula.
There simply isn't an ideal one size fits all solution.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada. I got the guillards (I know you said you didn’t want to hear about it) from Amazon for $40 no extra shipping cost. And to be honest the bottle will probably last forever, such a small amount is needed to cultivate the phytoplankton. Which, if you figure the cost of phytoplankton from retail stores, for me a one time cost of $40 for lifetime of phytoplankton is not too bad. But I understand what your saying, a lot of things are just not available in Canada compared to U.S. and if it is then it cost way much more than it should.

Can you please provide a link I can not seem to find it on Amazon.ca when I search. Thank you

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems my question disappeared So I will try ask again .. could you please provide a link to the amazon.ca product I can not seem to find a link thank you

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems my question disappeared So I will try ask again .. could you please provide a link to the amazon.ca product I can not seem to find a link thank you
It's showing as unavailable on Amazon Canada and I think it has been for awhile. You can find it on eBay Canada but the listings I saw are coming from the US so shipping is quite high however I didn't go through all of the listings. You can contact Mercer of Montana (the maker) and see if they sell/ship or if they know of sellers in Canada. If not then I'm sure that alternatives listed would be an option.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's showing as unavailable on Amazon Canada and I think it has been for awhile. You can find it on eBay Canada but the listings I saw are coming from the US so shipping is quite high however I didn't go through all of the listings. You can contact Mercer of Montana (the maker) and see if they sell/ship or if they know of sellers in Canada. If not then I'm sure that alternatives listed would be an option.
Ok cool thank you for your help.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool thank you for your help.
No problem. I'm actually a bit surprised to still see it unavailable on Amazon. I think it was late last year I was looking for it with the intent of doing my own phyto and it was unavailable then. I never did start culturing phyto so I haven't looked since last year. It's possible they're no longer selling in Canada or maybe not through Amazon. I figured I would just try some of the other options if needed.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have added Miracle Grow today . It seemed over the last week and a bit with out it the phytoplankton is not getting darker. I have also tried adding it to my chaeto that I have in pails ... see if it helps.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have added Miracle Grow today . It seemed over the last week and a bit with out it the phytoplankton is not getting darker. I have also tried adding it to my chaeto that I have in pails ... see if it helps.
So a little update .. it's about 2 weeks after adding miracle grow and heat to the phyto.. it is substantial darker .. going to leave it for another week and a bit and I will check it again.. so far I am sold on the miracle grow. And a 1 us gallon mix would last me a year I am sure

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back