Culturing Pods Outdoors

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to set up an outdoor trash can to culture pods. I’m wondering if continued phyto dosing would still be necessary or if natural sunlight with assorted macroalgae would be enough to sustain a pod culture?

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to set up an outdoor trash can to culture pods. I’m wondering if continued phyto dosing would still be necessary or if natural sunlight with assorted macroalgae would be enough to sustain a pod culture?
It really depends on the pods you're raising.... but most people culture orange tiggerpods from reef nutrition, and those need supplemental feeding. But the upside is they're very hardy to temp and salinity swings.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a bubbler? I was reading through a feeding animate thread

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a bubbler? I was reading through a feeding animate thread
No. Gas exchange at the surface is usually plenty. Also there is green hair algae growing in my 5g buckets and that helps supplement. In a 20g brute, it might need a bubbler, since the volume to surface area is pretty different.... but even then I suspect you wont need it.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I have an idea, how large of a culturing container (and how much would i need to feed that container) in order to be able to feed a 100 gal tank if this were the primary feeding method.

Could I just dose liquid strait out of the culturing tank and just dose that water containing the pods or is that not a good was to dose?

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I have an idea, how large of a culturing container (and how much would i need to feed that container) in order to be able to feed a 100 gal tank if this were the primary feeding method.

Could I just dose liquid strait out of the culturing tank and just dose that water containing the pods or is that not a good was to dose?
If you wanted it to he the ONLY thing you feed to your tank, you'd likely need several hundred gallons of culture, depending on your stocking. This is a supplemental feed typically.

You dont want to feed the culture water since itll be really dirty. So people usually use a seive to harvest.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I am at about two weeks ago I put some sponges and rinsed another sponge in bucket. A week later I did a water change into my pod bucket. I lowered the salinity 1.019 and I have been dumping skimate in there. The 5galll bucket with lights is about a inch from the top. Today I was thinking about lowering the water level in the bucket. But I fed some flake food and saw all these moving black dots near the top. Clearly they need to get bigger how do I harvest?

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking up sieves? Some research a 250 micron will leave the babies? Also I looked up some diy with tulle wedding veil stuff and also pantyhose from the foot but not sure what micron that would be

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking up sieves? Some research a 250 micron will leave the babies? Also I looked up some diy with tulle wedding veil stuff and also pantyhose from the foot but not sure what micron that would be
I think it's just easier to get a 100 micron sieve, and harvest using that, being indiscrininate. Just harvest what you'll feed and leave the rest. I use a baster to suck up pods and run them through the sieve. So long as you dont over harvest, things will be fine. Over harvesting just means it will take a long time for your next harvest heh.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back