Culturing Tisbe and green water

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to culture Tisbe pods and I was wondering if any one could comment on my progress so far. I recently purchased some tisbe along with some ocean magik phyto. I split the culture into 3 and have two portions in some one gallon pitcher jugs filled 2/3 of the way. I marked a water line on them so I could add RO water as water evaporates the other 1/3 portion I have in the jar I received the Tisbe culture in. all are in a 5 gallon bucket with each having their own airline. the jar has a lid with two holes one for the airline and one for air to escape. The jugs are open. There is a light over the 5 gallon bucket with a 16 hours on and 8 hours off. I added some coral food to each of the cultures and some phyto5-10 ml, the cultures had a very light tint. Its been about a week and now the cultures are a darker green where I can not see the bottom of the pitcher looking down.
Do I or should add more food to the cultures?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add more food to the cultures. At this point, it sounds like one of the algaes in the Oceanmagik (most likely the nannochloropsis) has bloomed. Which means lots of food for the copepods, as long as the copepods have survived.

Have you checked the cultures to make sure there's at least a small population in each?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back